From the halls of Montezuma to she shores of -- wait, what?

Somewhat surprisingly, Chicago has an elementary school named for the Niños Héroes, six Mexican cadets who died defending Chapultepec Castle from the Americans.

GQ been berry, berry good to me.

The largest Mexican community outside of Mexico, ¿no?

Fuck the Alamo, remember the Chapultepec!

I think the Marine Corps should really change a few things in their anthem. It’s time that landings like Iwo-Jima and Okinawa (among many others) to be recognized. This would bring the anthem up-to-date, and honor these brave men who participated in these landings.
Who remembers Montezuma? Let’s bring this anthem up to date.

(Not a former Marine, but served honorably in the Army for 3 years)

Jake

Somebody’s stirring the pot. :wink:

You’d remember him if you ever faced his revenge.

True, but I’m not sure the Mexican-American war is a terribly good example. There were multiple campaigns. And a majority of them were land invasions. Scott’s campaign in '47 from Vera Cruz to Mexico City was the one that “won the war.” But there were several campaigns to conquer California, & New Mexico, including Fremont’s march from Colorado to Sacramento and Kearney’s march from Missouri to Santa Fe and then San Diego. Then add in first Taylor’s campaign from Texas to Buena Vista and then Doniphan’s march from New Mexico to reinforce Taylor. In all there were plenty of inland invasion lines.

In fact all of what we later took in the peace settlement and much of what still is Northern Mexico was occupied before the final cease fire in September '47. Most of it was taken by men who marched there, not sailed there. The Vera Cruz campaign was a hook around the main army in an attempt to force a rapid surrender. And it worked. But without it the US was still preparing to advance by land. And had even seized supply bases on both coasts (Tampico in the East and Mazatlan in the West). If Scott had failed badly, the war would have been extended. But Taylor would still have advanced right down the middle of the country.

No.

D’oh! But can I be forgiven for wanting to blot LA from my mind? :slight_smile:
2nd attempt:
The second-largest largest Mexican community outside of Mexico, ¿no?

Actually, maybe the Mexican-American War might be something the Marines would prefer to play down.

Or is it like with the French Foreign Legion: “Sure, we’re tough. The Mexicans kicked our ass. Huh?”

Toughest army in France.

Well, if that’s your take, the examples you used dont really support it. At the battle of Dominguez Rancho and at the siege of Los Angeles, the marines didnt make a single casualty (wounded or killed), while being forced to retreat and took some casualties themselves. In those two events, the marines were either numerically on par with the Mexicans or greatly outnumbering them.
The Legion at the battle of Camaron, on the other hand, was totally outnumbered, inflicted, it seems, heavy casulaties to the Mexicans, but moreover accomplished their objective of protecting their convoy, and in the end the city of Puebla fell.

Of course we’re comparing what the Legion considers as its most glorious fight with some lame ass action in the Mexican-American war. I’m sure you can find some miserable fail in the Legion’s history to compare to heroic actions led by the marines.

To quote Montezuma: “Tell those dang Marines to stop singing in the halls!”