Frost/Nixon and the line between history and fiction

But how does it matter if there’s a change in the transcripts? The historical record isn’t distorted in the slightest; Nixon said the same things in the transcripts that he did in the movie portrayal – just not the same exact words or perhaps in the same order.

By making changes, you increase the dramatic effect. The movie becomes less dull and much more interesting. The OP makes no claim that the film distorts Nixon’s meaning and general intentions, just that it didn’t use the exact words of the transcript. How on Earth is that a problem?

If the transcript reads “Uh, well, the President . . . the president can do . . . what he wants in something. . . things of this nature where national security (cough) excuse me . . . is involved . . . it is not a crime” and you change that to “The president can do what he wants where national security is involved. It is not a crime.” how is that distorting history?

And, the bigger question, would you rather be accurate and dull, or make minor changes – that not even David Frost probably noticed – to make the movie more interesting?

As for JFK, it’s not like Stone made up the conspiracy theory. His problem was simply that he pretended that the film was a documentary telling the truth about the assassination when he knew it was fiction. It was a great marketing ploy, but had nothing to do with the truth of the matter.

If the real life story was that great to begin with why attempt to increase the dramatic effect? Hearing now in this thread that changes were made actually makes me NOT want to see the movie.
I rather see an accurate attempt at retelling a true story (boring blandness and all) than hollywood trying to spice it up for my benefit.

But some of the changes do distort what happened. Consider an example from this article:

The movie has Nixon admitting guilt; the reality did not. I don’t necessarily care if a movie writer juggles sequences and outright fabricates things we don’t have on record, but if the reality was that no confession was produced and the film changes that, I consider this a serious issue. We’re not talking about cutting out a few coughs and stumbles, we’re talking about revising the verifiable history in this case.

Hell, we’re not even allowed to fiddle with quotes from other posters on this board, but Ron Howard should be allowed to do so with a former President of the United States of America, to change a denial of wrongdoing into a confession? My first reaction is no way, man! That’s just wrong!