Fuck you, Sears

Let us know what you get. Or at least, let me know what you get. And why you chose it. I’m looking to replace my 20 year old Ryobi consumer grade table saw, and there’s a lot out there. The Dewalt and Bosch look attractive; I’m only afraid to commit to their prices!

I’m shocked that purchasing from Sears isn’t a seamless, customer friendly transaction.

FWIW, there is a 10" dewalt table saw sold @ Home Depot that seems the standard go-to for your price range. If you can spend more, I wouldn’t buy anything but a SawStop. I’m not sure what their portable and contractor saws cost though. I have one of their cabinet saws and I couldn’t be more pleased.

But Amazon’s the devil, don’t you know?

I currently have a Dewalt jobsite table saw that I use for all my table sawing needs. When I purchase a real shop saw, it will be a SawStop.

Our local Ace Hardware had a “Craftsman” section for a while, but last year they replaced it with Hallmark cards.

I’ve read that the Craftsman name has been bought by Black & Decker (as Voyager states), and they are selling the Craftsman-brand tools through Lowe’s. What is weird is, Sears can also still sell stuff labeled as “Craftsman” that has nothing to do the Craftsman brand sold at Lowe’s. Now Sears is selling really, really cheaply made tools as “Craftsman”. I mean, even worse than they were before. I don’t think your new table saw would fall under this though.

I wonder if anyone could get confused by Sears Craftsman 20V MAX cordless tools:

https://www.sears.com/20v-drill-and-impact-driver-combo-kit/p-A027414469?sellerId=SEARS&prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

with Lowe’s Craftsman V20 cordless tools:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-V20-2-Tool-20-Volt-Max-Power-Tool-Combo-Kit-Charger-Included-and-2-Batteries-Included/1000552959

Of course they are. Look what happened when the drew a pentagram around Queens.

Maybe Jeff Bezos is the Keymaster? :smiley:

We live in a Sears house, and love it. Solidly built, nice and small (I can clean it in 45 minutes).

A word of warning if you encounter shipping restrictions on some websites: be cautious about websites that will ship that item to you. Especially if it’s a large/heavy item.

We had a very hot summer last year, and decided to buy a window air conditioner. The one we wanted was on Amazon, but Amazon wouldn’t ship it to us. No explanation, just “won’t ship to that address.”

After some searching, I found the model on Overstock.com, which would ship to us. Purchased, and a week later it was going to be delivered.

I got a call from the delivery company, telling me that their truck would be at my house in some time window, and that the it was on a normal shipping truck with no drop tail gate, and that I was expected to remove the item from the truck.

“Wait, what?” I responded.

“Yeah,” said the woman on the phone, “that surprises a lot of people”.

None of this was mentioned anywhere when I bought it.

It turns out that the driver will often help you get it off the truck (which he did), and I was able to leave work and be home with a dolly to bring it up to the house. But not quite the delivery I was expecting.

Thanks for that, by the way. After going down the rabbit hole that was that link, I now have plans to build a deck around the new shipping container pool I bought from Amazon.

At least I get a new deck!

Heh, I had already rabbit-holed to those shipping-container pools and wanted one to go with my shipping-container house with adjoining shipping-container grow-house.
Gotta wonder how they package and ship it all? :smiley:

A friend of mine is a manager at a trucking firm, and this is a particular pet peeve of theirs. There are certain oniine sales sites who contract with her trucking company to ship large items (like furniture, workout equipment, etc.) to individuals, and her firm (and their trucks) are not set up to do this easily.

Her firm is nearly always bringing freight to commercial clients, who have loading docks, forklifts, etc. None of their trucks have drop-gates, dollies, etc., and as you note, the driver isn’t obligated to assist with getting the item off the truck (much less into your house), though some will take pity on you.

And, of course, the trucking company’s customer service people get the angry phone calls from the unprepared / unwitting customers, as well.

Amazon is great, and I was an early adopter; I got about $5,000.00 worth of law school books for free using an Amazon rewards credit card. But more and more, I’m trying to shop locally where possible, because the more Amazon grabs of the retail market, the fewer local retail outlets will exist. That has pretty dire consequences for our already-redundant unskilled labor force, but it will also be a total pain in the ass for those times when I need to buy something right now.

I’m always a little bit surprised to hear that Sears still exists. It’s the Grey’s Anatomy of retail.

As RTFirefly noted in post #12, Sears has basically been a shambling hulk for years, slowly (but clearly) rotting while being kept alive via financial necromancy by Eddie Lampert, as he drains every cent he can from the body.

I just looked and I call bullshit, not on you but on the Sears link. There doesn’t seem to be any way to actually purchase that saw. I was going to offer to buy and then FedEx it to you but it won’t allow me to do it. As the old joke goes, I sell them for only $200 when I don’t have them.