Fucking Futurecar on the Discovery Channel.

The suspension will be used to compress air with the up and down motion to run the air compressor to run the car. People will run out of gas in the country with their date, and have car bouncing sex to fill up the car. Buses using this technology will be powered by all riders in bus bouncing in their seat.

Oh it works all right but more than one car is required. As the car in front exhausts, the car behind gathers that exhaust in it’s intake, uses it and passes it to the car behind. It’s beautiful in it’s simplicity.

I was actually pretty excited about watching this show, seeing as how it was all about concept cars and whatnot. I couldn’t get ten minutes into either the first or second episodes - it was all advertising and hand-waving. And the long glamour shots of Mr. Italian Mustachioed Stogie Puffer in the first ep was just slightly past nauseating.

…Why as a matter of fact, yes, I had forgotten how much the Discovery Channel’s gone to pot in the last five years. Why do you ask?

I like Mythbusters, Dirty Jobs, the survival shows and such.

But the seances and historical revisionism shows? Dumb. Although I don’t think the stupidity of the stupid shows rubs off on the good shows, the annoying part is that they take the place of good shows.

In this garage, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!

If it’s storing energy in compressed nitrogen, wouldn’t that be a pneumatic accumulator?

Oh someone with some time PLEASE photoshop this into one of their “future cars”.

:smiley:

The input/output fluid is oil. The nitrogen is stored internally to the accumulator, seperated from the oil by either a bladder, or a free floating piston. So to the outside world, the device accumulates oil. Nitrogen is used instead of air to insure that if the seperation mechanism fails, there is no chance of an explosive mixture. (the pressure can be high enough for diesel style ignition)

Or better yet, one of these.

And, presumably, continue to do so.

I don’t know about the compressed air car, but I’ve always wondered if it would be possibile to have a kinda-sorta self-charging electric car. Have a dynamo set up on one (or more) of the wheels and run the car off of half the batteries while recharging the other half, or something like that.

It’s not a true perpetual motion machine because you would still need the initial charge for the battery, and eventually you would have to plug it in to top off the charge. It seems like such a configuration would greatly extend the time between plug-ins, however.

Some/most electric cars and hybrids use Regenerative braking, where the energy dissipated in slowing the car is used to recharge the batteries. What I think you’re describing won’t work either though - if one wheel is acting as a dynamo, it’s slowing the car down - it takes mechanical energy to keep a dynamo turning. The energy it can provide back to the battery is less that used by the other wheel(s) to keep the car going. In other words - your car’s battery would discharge sooner, not later.

Sure you can. Go bring me a perpetual motion machine, and I’ll show you…

:smiley:

No, it wouldn’t. Quite the reverse. You’re not driving that dynamo for free, and what’s more, you’re not getting as much energy out of it as you used to turn the damned dynamo. A dynamo isn’t an energy source; it’s a means of turning kinetic energy into electric, nothing else. You have to do work to turn it.

As muldoonthief says, you can have regenerative braking - i.e. if you have to stop, you may as well turn your kinetic energy into electricity instead of just waste heat. But you can’t do this unless you’re intending to slow down, and you don’t get as much energy back as you used to speed up, still less can you get any energy back while you’re maintaining a constant speed.

So the cars gathering up this exhaust have got fucking great scoops mounted on the bonnet? :confused:

Yeah that makes sense…apart from the drivers doing the gathering being unable to see :dubious:

I think you might have gotten whooshed. It struck me as an “it’s turtles all the way down!” kinda joke regarding perpetual motion.

There is, however, a way for a single car to power all the ones behind it. I am unaware of any system that uses compressed air, but the engineering for it is feasible. It’s called a train. :wink:

:smack: :smack: :smack:

:: points and laughs at chowder ::

::sulks and hides in corner, crying softly thinking “I hate that malwhathaveyou”::

Ahah! gotcha (I hope) the train doesn’t power the cars behind it, it pulls them using its own power