Fucking maskholes

Yes. That is what for me watching the footage of maskholes on YouTube enrages me when they spew their rights. Hey, you assbox. That store owner can require you to wear a tutu and combat boots if he wanted you to.

Lots and lots of stores are corporate owned. Where local management is trapped between corporate edicts to a) Avoid becoming a social media sensation, b) try to enforce the local government’s rules whatever they are, and c) don’t piss off any customers. Oh yeah, and d) don’t do anything that will hurt your monthly sales numbers.

That’s a no-win for your typical store manager or rank and file employee.

This is, unfortunately, true. And pretty much any corporate chain retailer will happily throw to the wolves any poor schmuck manager or cashier or whatever who’s just trying to follow corporate policy and not piss off customers and deal with every asshole looking to start a fight who walks through the doors.

The same thing happens on Wikipedia all the time. They claim Wikipedia is violating their free speech rights by not letting them spew their conspiracy theories and right wing propaganda. It’s why Conservapedia was formed, which, not really ironically, is much more censored than Wikipedia is.

I see it happen more often on youtube and twitter. A far/alt right member gets their page taken down and they yell and scream about how their free speech is being taken away. I have to assume someone that far right understands what free speech is and that posting to a privately owned website isn’t a right. They spend enough time screaming about the constitution and putting ‘we the people’ stickers on their cars, you’d think they’d understand how their most basic rights work.

You mean “flout”, not “flaunt”. You flout a law when you openly disobey it. You flaunt your new diamond engagement ring.

[ETA: No offense intended. It’s just that that that usage has been getting on my nerves of late.]

Trump, OTOH, openly flaunts that he flouts the law.

(ETA: My pet usage peef is the common mixing-up of “stanch” and “staunch”.)

Mine is gauntlet and gantlet.

Devastate and decimate. Just because words look the same as each other, doesn’t mean that they mean anything close to the same.

My BFF shared today that she has had 4 different people confront her about wearing a mask. She is a short, slender, young woman so maybe they thought they could bully her into joining them in their defiant masklessness. They were wrong.

Oh, I hate that one too. Then there’s the people who mix up affect and effect, and don’t even get me started on the use of decimate instead of devastate.

ETA: I see that @JaneDoe42 feels the same way I do about that last.

ETA2: And good on your BFF.

Mine is “loose” when the person actually means “lose.”

Or maybe it’s “highjack” instead of “hijack.” :wink:

Getting way off topic here, but I hate “try and” do x, instead of " try to" do x.

Heard a story last night about a maskhole mother who first berated a petite young woman with a wolf mask, then demanded it for her (maskless) young son because he liked it. After she was told to piss off several times, she tried to grab the mask from behind only to discover her victim had a pocket Taser armed and ready.

If only we could stanch the flaunting of the flouting by the staunch Trumpists. Maybe in 2 weeks.

Flaunting, flouting, and flouncing seems to be the RW meme for this year.

+1 or several. We must try AND do this! (And I do mean “try AND do”.)

I hate it when people mix up “peef” with “beef”. (Somewhere Gaudere is smiling!)
When literally literally stopped meaning literally I gave up all hope.

Maybe you’re mis-parsing this? “Peef” is the singular of “peeves”. I have several pet peeves. I acquired them over the yeas, one peef at a time. My peef with “stanch” and “staunch” is just one of my peeves among several.

To relate this remark to the actual topic of this thread, I’ll note that fucking maskholes is another peef that we all share in this thread.

Well consider this a small battle with ignorance won! I had no idea about “peef” so I have learned something today. Reminds me of the time my dad said he felt “revivified” and I corrected him telling him he meant revitalized. Back to lurking humbled and edumacated. Apologies.

Though Gaudere is smiling because you misspelled years. A very short leg to stand on. Call me Ilene.

Maybe you’ve been whooshed:
Peeve:
The noun peeve , meaning an annoyance, is believed to have originated in the United States early in the twentieth century, derived by back-formation from the adjective peevish , meaning “ornery or ill-tempered”, which dates from the late 14th-century.[1]

Etymology[edit]

Back-formation from peevish .

Noun[edit]

peeve ( plural peeves )