Fucking motorcycles

Florida does not require helmets either, provided you are over 21. Here is the thing about safety gear: it’s only so good as it does not regularly cause more discomfort then the protection it might avail you in an accident. I live in South Florida now and it is HOT. 90+ during the days, with the occasional push into the 100’s. If I’m not going far, or fast, then I’m not likely to wear a helmet or leathers. The sweat dripping into my eyes and the discomfort of overheating is constant. That distraction is more likely to cause a problem for me then the usual road risks. YMMV. I also hate loud pipes.

I don’t even get why loud pipes are legal. If you had a car like that you’d get a ticket for defective equipment. Rightly so, too.

These assholes are damaging our hearing.

[

](http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/noise.html#sounds)

Of course this isn’t news to anyone on or near the road who’s had their ears hurt and left ringing from some brainless fuckwit trying to compensate for his inadequacies.

What a bunch of selfish stupid assholes. It should be legal to take a hacksaw to any part of a motorcycle with these malicious antisocial pipes. Their owners are lower than dirt and deserve to walk.

Well here I was all ready to rip on you, and I can’t. With the exception of #2 I pretty much agree with you. I hate the other motorcyclists that have the loud bikes, speed up the road at 100+, and basically make me look like a dick even though I’ve never done anything wrong.

It’s not a gang, it’s a club.

I’d always heard in the US that lane splitting is only legal in California, so I checked the Wiki article on the topic. It looks like there isn’t a law/vehicle code there that allows it, but that legal rulings consistently favor it in CA. So it’s basically legally supported in CA and occasionally overlooked elsewhere - but don’t be surprised if a cop suddenly takes offense to it in the other 49 states.

I have to add, I’m rather disturbed at the thought of it though I understand its utility. Considering a car can slip into a blind spot, a motorcycle can do that far more easily and stay in the blind spot longer. I’m really paranoid about blind spot checking, at least.

Hey El Presdenete “Go Fuck Yourself With A Piece Of Rusty Barbed Wire!”. For every bad bike rider there are a hundred bad cage drivers and I am a lot less danger to you when I am on my bike than your are to me when you are in a car. For every person killed or injured by a bike while riding in a car there are thousands of bike riders killed and injured by auto drivers! Even worse sometimes you car drivers try to run us bike riders down intentionly, on more than one occasion I have had a cage drivers look me square in the eye and then swerve at me trying to run me down or else thinking that they had more right to the lane that I was in than I did. You forget that everytime a bike and a car wreck the bike rider always is the one that gets hurt the worst!

Bikers all claim how wonderfully nice and friendly they are. “Knights of the road” I have heard them call themselves. Well thank you very much but I’ll reserve that title for the truckers until the bikers stop with the horribly loud engines. I live in a very quiet neighborhood - it’s only about two minutes to a busy commercial park, but my neighborhood is wonderfully quiet. Except for the fucking Harley owner that has to zoom by every night at 9:30 or so. One of these days I will beat him to death with a muffler. I will have to find one, though, since obviously he doesn’t have one!

And…motorcycles without helmets? :eek: I won’t even take my bike on the road without a helmet!

Delaware doesn’t require helmets, either.

I am not fully convinced Delaware exists. :dubious: :slight_smile:

Iowa doesn’t require helmets, and I fucking hate HD’s. Technically all loud motorcycles. The fuckers in my neighborhood are really “independent rebels” who ride around in groups of no less than 20. It literally makes outdoors conversation impossible when they go by, every single one of them revving their engines as they coast down the hill.

I used to own a honda shadow and still maintain my cycle license. I love riding. But that doesn’t mean you have to be loud about it, assholes.

My coworker talks about how one day her husband wants to buy a HD. I grit my teeth and smile. He totally is the guy who would remove the muffler. (He also thinks anyone who looks vaguely middle-eastern should not be allowed to speak another language in front of him. She told this to my face! I am Indian and do speak another language, occasionally even at work (to my dad). I’m guessing she thinks of me as American so I guess I should not be offended. )

I have nothing against motorcycles in general, but I really don’t understand what it is about ugly green Kawasakis that make your girlfriend on the back show me the crack of her ass. And it’s never an ass you really wanted to see, either. Don’t you feel a breeze, honey?

I blame the women that sleep with these bozos.

I would love to see cops pull over and ticket every shit head with a loud bike.

As to helmet laws, I ride and always wear full gear, but could care less if others do. Frankly, I think people who don’t are unaware of how nice it can be. For instance, riding a lot of miles on a hot, humid day with no helmet and only a tshirt and shorts results in major fatigue from the sun baking you, as well as seriously sticky skin from sweat and grime (yuck).

But, if you wear a full face helmet (with tinted shield) and armored mesh jacket and mesh pants, then you can ride and ride and not feel exhausted at the end of it. I also like the confidence it gives me to know that if I crash, I am most likely going to walk away.

Loud pipes do not save lives, they merely identify the douche bags.

Even supposing loud pipes do save lives, it still is nothing more than an act of selfishness.

Basically, “loud pipes save lives” breaks down to:

1. I’m going to drive a vehicle that’s more risky to operate than a standard car is, because I enjoy riding that kind of vehicle.
  2. But I’m not going to assume the added risk that goes with that benefit of enjoyment.
  3. Instead, I’m going to annoy the fuck out of everyone within hundreds of yards of me in order to make my pastime slightly less risky to me.
  4. So everyone else around me has to enjoy their day a bit less in order that I might enjoy my day a bit more.

What a giant pile of steaming shit this thread is. Good on Penn. for thier Motorcycle Awareness program! Fuck all y’all who can’t appreciate thier effort.

A more succinct summation of the issue I have not seen, and I participated in the last loud pipes thread.

Ah, a ‘nice’ term for what most of us would call “riding between lanes.” It’s good to know that even bikers can be Orwellian.

My take on this is simple: when I do a lane change, I have enough to worry about with (a) the traffic in the lane I’m changing into, and (b) the car in front of me in my current lane, as I wait for a sufficient opening in the other lane. Having to worry about essentially an additional lane in between the two would be too fucking much to keep track of in complicated traffic situations, which of course is the only time riding between lanes conveys any benefit to motorcyclists.

Well, if you’re going to get rid of load pipes you have to replace it with something else that serves its intended purpose.

How about a on-board PA system that repeats over and over - “Look at me! Look at me!”

Nah, I think the appropriate phrase is, “Hear me compensate for my small penis!” :smiley: