Fucking Xbox huge disappointment

It might not be called t/video…it might be called tv/aux. Without the auxiallary channel you can’t play it through the audio/video inputs. As mentioned before, you can buy an rf modulater switch. It plugs into your antenna input.

I’ve got a link for any of you who think XBox controllers are terrible. http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2002-03-25&res=l

I have a Philips TV (it’s mandatory to have one as a Dutchman ;)), and run my PS2 and VCR through the SCART connectors. The channels are called EXT1 and EXT2. They can be reached by selecting “0” on the remote, then zap down: EXT2 and EXT1 appear. A similar result can be reached by using the TV’s channel buttons behind the panel on the front. Maybe that’s how yours works too?

Seriously, a SCART is a direct connection that doesn’t need any frequency tuning. If the SCART cable doesn’t work, then either the X-Box, the SCART cable, or the SCART connector on the TV is defective. Given the age of the TV, it could be the latter.

They actually make PAL Xboxes? You’d think they would have abandoned the overseas market by now, considering how badly the Xbox has been doing outside of the US.

Thanks Coldy - perhaps it is the SCART. It had better not be the Xbox SCART, though they will of course have to replace it if it’s defective. I didn’t realise one shouldn’t have to tune it, so something is definitely very wrong somewhere.

Also yes - I doubled checked everything (TV, Xbox, game) is PAL.

Thanks everyone for your help and responses. I will post back if/when I get the bigger TV, and if it works or not.

UPDATE (y’all gonna love this…)

Took the xbox round to a friend’s house. After some fiddling, and switching on and off, and working out which channel to use, we got it working via the scart on his TV.

But…

…they have sold me an ASIAN xbox!!!

The only language options are Korean, Japanese and Chinese. Games still work fine, but I can’t change any of the console settings itself (and sadly have no close friends here speaking any of those languages). Anyway I took it back to the store to show them, and they are ordering me a new one in.

I think the mistake must be with the factory, not the store, because the two manuals are in all different European languages and English, there are no Asian language manuals.

On the bright side, Morrowind is BRILLIANT!!!

Overview: There are several types of TV signals. Within those several types are variations in scanlines and audio signal offset. For instance your American TV will work in UAE but only in black and white and an adjustment is needed to hear sound.
USA is NTSC
UAE is PAL (as Mojo said)

Sounds like you had a (USA type) NTSC for Korea, Japan and Taiwan. Will work with an USA TV. But this point is moot since you’ve returned the Xbox. Assuming new box will be USA type also NTSC but with language in English. If its PAL take it right back; you won’t be able to use it in USA.

Just looked the Xbox specs up on the web. No RF, just video connector but an RF convertor is available for $10.

Possible problems with TV

1. Has TV been adjusted to pick up UAE TV stations? If so it will have to be readjusted back to US NTSC.
  2. TV has no video connector. This will be true if your TV has tuning knobs or push button channel selectors. If so you’ll need the RF connector or use CRorex’s suggestion. And you will have to tune the TV to the correct channel.
  3. If TV has a video connector then the TV has to be set for video input. This may require a remote as Amok suggested. Other possiblities are a slide switch or through the menu. Most, but not all TVs allow accessing menu without a remote.
    Note: Video (RCA) connector will look like sound connector. RF connector will be (antenna) screw type. You cannot mix or match or use adaptors on one end.

Still having problems? If you have an AFRTS command there then make new best friends with one of the technicians.

The xbox is definitely PAL, as is the TV - this whole country is PAL.

They do sell NTSC here for the many tourists that visit, so I (and Virgin Megastore) made doubly sure I was getting a PAL xbox and a PAL game. Also this morning, they did have another xbox in stock, but it was NTSC, which is why they have specially ordered another PAL one.

The TV that I used (the second one that did work, at my friend’s place, not my old one that doesn’t) was a Philips.

Having just checked, S Korea and Japan are NTSC, N Korea and China are PAL. http://www.geo-orbit.org/sizepgs/ntscp.html

Your point 3. I think is probably the correct issue for my old TV at home, as mentioned above, I have no remote, so no video input button to access.

Doesn’t it have channel selectors on the front of the TV? Like, behind some sort of pannel or something? My parents have a Philips TV about the same age as yours, and one can change its channels manually on the front of the set.

Yes, there is a channel selector, but as far as I remember I went through all of them and it still didn’t work. I don’t think they are tuned in properly. I will try again with Channel 0, but having seen the graphics on my friend’s bigger TV, the thought of borrowing his mega-big TV is just droolworthy…

And he can’t lend me the medium-size one, because it belongs to the hotel apartment he rents. So he has no room for the mega-expensive mega-big one. Yay! The wait will be all worthwhile.

BTW - I didn’t realise Philips was a Dutch brand before you mentioned it, I mistakenly had thought it was British. Sorry! You guys are cool :wink:

Well, we’ll be even cooler if you can get your X-Box to play. :wink:

Yup, it’s Dutch. In fact, I can see their head office from the corner of my street.

Have you tried zapping down from channel 0? The EXT1 and EXT2 channels reside “below zero” on my Philips TV (circa 1998).

I will try tonight/tomorrow, and let you know. The only pictures ever seen on the Philips during its stay in my flat are a couple of DVDs and two immensely grainy Arabic channels (“mullah-vision”). I will see if I can locate EXT1 and EXT2.