Fundamentalists: “Give it over to God”?

Consider the Lord’s Prayer, the first three steps of AA, and the old folk saying that “God helps those who help themselves.” Read them all together, and think about them. If you feel so moved, pray that their meaning will be illuminated. When you ask the Father to “lead (you) not into temptation,” think about the fact that you preface your supplication with a request that the Father’s will be done.

Is it God’s will that you succeed?

Has the obstacle been placed in front of you to teach you something about how you can succeed? Or will you, like Christ, submit to God’s will, drink from the cup placed before you, and learn humility from pain and failure? When you have passed this ordeal – for this too shall pass! – what do you think God has in mind for you?

Disclaimer: I’m a non-believer with an extensive knowledge of scriptures; if this was inspired by God or Satan, I didn’t notice. Take this as a mortal’s advice.

I agree with a lot that has been said here. My first thoughts were along the same line as TeaElle.s comments.

It’s really the same as a wilderness survival technique. When you get into a tough situation, you make a list (at least mentally) of what you can do about the problem, do all of those things and then let go. If you continue to allow the stress to overwhelm you, you are actually hurting your chances of survival. That’s why the “letting go” is so important. It’s also often difficult.

As a Christian – though not a Fundamentalist – I have found it comforting to be able to let go to a God who loves all of us, without exception, knowing that whatever happens will be for the good in the long run.