Funeral Processions: a quaint idea whose times has passed?

Black ribbons would probably be too hard to see. Mostly around here the flags are bright orange. Recently, for my grandmother’s funeral, I was in the lead car with my parents and sister, and my father put a small light on top of the car.
For my grandparents siblings, her sister and her brother and his wife were all from out of town, and hadn’t driven around this area in, god, forty-some years at least. I’d say the procession was almost manditory.

As yourself this: why do people wear black at funerals, and put flowers on the grave at funerals, and install a tombstone at funerals, and have pallbearers carry the coffin at funerals? Once you’ve figured out the answers to those, I believe you’ll also understand why people have funeral processions.

If you can prove that these traditions postdate the legal recognition of funeral processions in traffic laws, I will be very grateful. Otherwise, I will not understand what relevance your post has to the thread.

I fall into the pro-funeral camp but I can understand the problems they cause if you’re located near 2 funeral homes. It’s like living between 2 railroad tracks. Hopefully they schedule the processions between rush hour traffic. In my state they usually hire traffic cops on motorcycles to block intersections.

Why do widows wear black for the rest of their lives, and families rend their clothing turn the mirrors to the wall and Indian widows throw themselves on the funeral pyre? Oh, right, people don’t do that anymore, either.

Interesting article, stpauler!

I’m going to voice an unpopular opinion here… I think funerals are for the bereaved’s family and friends, as are weddings, graduations, and births. While I can be moved on a human level about these occurances, I don’t expect any of these events to create inconvenience for those not directly affected.

Some inconvenience is fine - it’s hard to get a reservation or find a hotel room around graduation time in Boston, for instance - but as someone who lives near three funeral homes, I think the procession is an antiquated, somewhat indulgent custom. If there isn’t a way to alert people before it happens so they can avoid the procession, they shouldn’t have them. (I’m reasonable - not a big deal with 10 cars, but when there’s a procession like the one I observed this spring that took - I kid you not - 30 minutes to go by, there’s got to be a better idea.)

If you’re heading to my funeral, please carpool or walk!

When did Jews stop covering mirrors? The rending of clothes you don’t see much of anymore, but mirrors are still covered.

Doc Cathode:

I imagine you’ll see the torn clothes anywhere you see the covered mirrors.

Quaint? Nah, I wouldn’t say it’s that insignificant. Keep in mind, these are people burying a loved one. A normal funeral procession can’t be more an inconvenience than being held at a traffic light for fire trucks and ambulances passing through.

I remember my mom’s funeral was held at 10am on a Sunday. (How this didn’t become a Pit thread, I still don’t know.) Some douchebag not involved in any way decided he wanted to get through a red light and cut my sister off to get in line. Of course, in my calm, cool state of mind in pursuit of planting mom I overtook my sister’s car and hit him.

The cops patiently waited and cited me for failing to yield after the festivities. Looking back I could have been screwed had they went for reckless driving, but she was pretty well liked in town, so they took it easy. Considering my state of mind, they took that into account. Of course, considering my state of mind I shouldn’t have been driving.

The point is, when you see a funeral procession, accept a 2 minute delay. Is this really that much a hassle?

And I say again and again and again and again, but apparently in invisible type, I am not objecting to the “waiting,” I am objecting to the “danger.” As has been cited, people have been injured and killed by funeral processions running red lights and stop signs, which is why there are (almost univerally ignored) laws against this (which I was not even aware of, they are so universally ignored).

Funerals are not a sporting event, work of performance art, or historical curiosity. They serve an important social function. They’re a necessary part of the process of coming to terms with death. Our society has already trimmed the process of mourning from several months to several days, or even hours. Any psychiatrist would surely agree that this has been a bad thing. At any given time, millions of people are floundering around, trying to figure out how to deal with the recent death of a relative or friend. Knocking out another major component of the funeral would make matters worse.

Processions have results:
Good result: helps many millions of people with the processes of mourning, healing, and acceptance.
Bad result: a small number of bad drivers have wrecks.

Good result outweighs bad result, for society. For you personally at this point in life, it may be the other way. That may change as you get more mature. In any case, the world doesn’t rotate around you.

Actually, I always try to assume that the other guy is an idiot, out to kill me. I try not to start from the stoplight until the other car is at least visibly breaking. I work on the idea that the person on the other side of the stop sign is going to turn in front of me.

No argument here. But it’s a ritual and function specific to a person’s family, friends, and well-wishers. Not random people in the street.

Not sure who this is directed at, but you seem to assume that having an issue with funeral processions is a sign of immaturity. Why? And why does having an opinion that processions = self-centeredness? I would wager most people in this thread have suffered the loss of loved ones and/or friends, myself included. It is because I know the world doesn’t revolve around me, or anyone else, that I have a problem with funeral processions beyond, say, a block-long fleet of cars. Again, if people can be alerted so they can go about their business or take alternate routes, I say have at it, because that’s demonstrating concern for others.