Futuristic Sci-Fi Movies Set in a Year That Has Come to Pass

I will mention here:

“Strange Days” is set in 1999. Its kind of futuristic I suppose. Its a pretty good movie.

And the earthquake to end all earthquakes happened in 2000, according to Escape from LA.

No . . . It ain’t 20 minutes into the future yet! :smiley:

But there was no such guy in the book, nor in the movie. (I think you mean “Winston.”)

Actually, the earthquake to end all earthquakes happened in 2005. Twice. :frowning:

ITR champion writes:

> Orwell set 1984 in 1984 as a homage to this book.

Cite? That’s not what I’ve read. Like Otto, I’ve read that it comes from flipping the last two digits of 1948, when Orwell wrote the book.

Read it here.

If we’re including literary work that hasn’t been adapted for film, I’ll mention Rudyard Kipling’s semi-cryptic adventure story:

With the Night Mail
A Story of 2000 A.D.
(Together with extracts from the magazine in which it appeared)

To give you an idea of the Kipling’s imagined Year 2000, a representative advertisement from the paratext which accompanies the story:

Oh duh, how could I forget that 1930 classic Just Imagine, which is chock full of the personal plane cars and commutes to Mars that figured so prominently in our daily lives in 1980?

Don’t forget that we had Second Impact a year later in 2000. I bet someone’s got a complete list of passed-by dates in anime.

And dang it, now I can’t decide whether to watch Robotech again or if I should finally go out and get Macross and Genesis Climber Mospeada.

Cyrul Kornbluth’s “The Rocket of 1955” is probably the earliest date where the present caught up with it (it was first published in 1939).

This thread would not be complete without mentioning a TV show that regularly gives us a look into the future.

“The future, Conan?”

That’s right… all the way to the Year 2000.

In the year 2000…

Oh. Is THAT why my room mates were watching that a few months back? :smack:

I still need to see that. Apparantly I’m some kind of half-assed 21 year old because I never watched Transformers as a kid.

Well, to be fair, if he had the book take place in, say, 1977, the title wouldn’t make any sense. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s a comic book rather than a movie, but the Atomic Knights series that ran in Strange Adventures during the early sixties spoke of a nuclear war that occurred in 1986.

(When that actual year rolled around, DC retconned it into the whole series having been a dream by the man who (in those stories) was the primary hero, and said dream inspired him to become an individual hero called the Atomic Knight. I don’t know if he appeared at all since then.)

I wanted them to do a joke about that on December 30th, 1999, or so. Something like…

<band guy singing in high-pitched voice> “In the year two-thousand…”

<camera shows Conan reading TV Guide> “Aw, Buffy’s a rerun.”

etc.

[sigh]
I am amongst the unlettered and unwashed. :slight_smile:
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Tuesday, April 24, 1951

The underrated Predator 2 was released in 1990, and took place in 1997.

Nothing futuristic about The Day The Earth Stood Still, though.

It seems that Hanna Barbera released Thundarr the Barbarian (1981) as a “movie”. Actually, it consisted of 3 episodes of the show. …

Mobile Police Patlabor was set to start in 1998. Having seen the second movie, made in 1993 and set to take place sometime during wintertime in 2002, it seems they got things right apart from the giant robots. 'Course, apart from that it doesn’t seem like they took too many liberties.

And even though the movie was released in 1988, according to Akira, Tokyo was destroyed on July 16, 1988.