[GAME] All the world's largest cities by population.

[DEL]#22[/DEL] #23: BENGALURU

Better known in the West as Bangalore.
Founded in 1537, when a mud-brick fort was built there.
Called “The Silicon Valley of India” because of its many IT companies.

#24: BANGKOK

(What happened to #3 BEIJING and #6 TIANJIN?)

I’d reckon – as with the Wiki list on which the “All the Countries in the World” game was based – over the weeks and months, “swapping-and-switching” for various reasons, takes place in the game’s Wiki list: nothing is set in stone. Maybe someone would like to do Beijing and Tianjin, and thus catch up?

I’ll tackle now- #24 Bangkok.
Known to the world in general as Bangkok; but in the Thai language the city is “Krung Thep [Maha Nakhon]”.

Started life in the early 15th century as a village on the Chao Phraya River – thence, grew and flourished.

Set in the delta of the Chao Phraya River, a short distance from the sea: interlaced by the river and numerous man-made canals, rather Venice-fashion.
#25: Ho Chi Minh City

Formerly Saigon

Close to but not on the mighty Mekong River

Built on swampland originally inhabited by Khmer people for centuries

1. DONGGUAN

Shall I do poor old Beijing? – leaving Tianjin still to be handled; and the next one numerically, #26 Dongguan…
Nowadays China’s capital – has spent spells of time (most recently, 1945 – 49) not as capital, and called Beiping (“Northern Peace”).

Contains seven UNESCO World Heritage Sites.

Has very bad air-pollution problems, including dust-storms copiously depositing material from the deserts of northern / north-western China.

Tianjin

Fourth largest city after Shanghai, Beijing, Ghuangzhou. It’s one of five national central cities of China. Tianjin’s main central area is located at the Hai River.

Dongguan:

Important industrial city in central Guangdong Province, China. Home to one of the world’s largest BUT EMPTY shopping malls- New South China Mall. City administration of Dongguan is very progressive in seeking foreign direct investment.

Next: Chongqing

#27: Chongqing
Located at the confluence of the Yangtze and Jialing rivers.

Functioned as the capital of China during the 1937 - 1945 state of war between China and Japan.

Has a miserable climate, with usually over 100 days of fog per year.
#28: Nanjing