Game of Thrones Season 2 - CLOSED SPOILERS discussion thread

He pretty much completely freaked about the fire and abandoned the fight because he could not stand being out there anymore. There is pretty much no coming back from that, specially as a member of the Kingsguard. Not much i can expand on the Sansa stuff other than what’s been on the show, he just sorta kinda likes her.

I guess none of that was spoilery, but oh well.

This is pretty much pure speculation on my part (and not much book-based at that), but I believe he always felt resentful about the fact that killing is all he does, all anyone asks him to do. The tavern scene between him and Bronn spells it out for me:

• Bronn is an amoral sellsword who doesn’t let it get to him, he has no illusions about what he does, is quite proud of being good at it and he enjoys life regardless.
  • Sandor was born into a noble family with no choice *but *to be a glorified sellsword (if only to protect himself from his asshole brother), he has zero illusions about the knightly life or the real morality of what he does (despite every other noble acting like it’s noble and good), or the fact that the only reason anyone lets him hang around is because he’s good at it… and he hates every minute of it.

Which is the big difference between Bronn and him: Bronn enjoys killing because he’s kind of a prick when it all comes down to it ; Sandor likes killing (to the extent that he really does and isn’t just saying that as part of the social persona he’s built for himself) because it’s an outlet for his existential rage.

Been rewatching the season, and in the background he’s always visibly biting his tongue or rolling his eyes at whatever his peers are doing around him, how Jeoffrey treats him and so forth. It’s also quite apparent he’s got a bit of a crush on Sansa - possibly because he recognizes his young, bullied self in her, even though her “innocence” and her clinging to fairytale notions of nobility aggravate him.
So, as much as his PTSD trigger was evidently the final push over the cliff, I reckon he’s been aching to tell everyone to just fuck off and leave him alone his entire life. He’s not a GRRRR! mean alpha dog, he never was - he just pretended to be to protect himself. And he’s tired of it, the senselessness of it.

All that, plus Joffrey *can *quite objectively go fuck himself :slight_smile:

Kobal2, that makes a lot of sense. Now I’m going to be scrutinizing the Hound when I rewatch!