Gardners: What are you planting this year?

You know, day lilies are edible and utterly scrumptious! WhyKid and I eat them right off the plant, picking off one petal at a time like an artichoke. They have a wonderful sweet nectar at the very bottom of each petal. It’s like flower candy. Toss a few petals on a salad for a real treat!

You can also pick the buds before they open and stir-fry them, stuff the open flowers with chicken salad (same link), make Day Lily Chicken Soup or Spiced Pickled Day Lily Buds.

Hostas? I got nothin’. Space fillers with ugly flower stalks, if you ask me. Rip 'em out and donate them somewhere and plant more day lilies!

Beware the dill. I planted a little bit in a flower bed and it liked the spot and took over the entire back yard. I could not pick it and use it fast enough. It was so tall I started having nightmares that it was taller than I am.

My wife didn’t eat a lot of things when we first got married, because her mom ruined dinnertime for years. She apparently had no aptitude for cooking, and didn’t make an effort to learn even some of the basics. So anyway, I’ve shown my wife that some foods that she thought were terrible are actually quite good when cooked properly. I’ve got her to go from not coming near a tomato, to where a BLT is one of her favorite things. This year, I’d like to grow my own tomatoes, to show her how they really taste. Those store tomatoes are awful.

I’ve never grown anything before, because I have no aptitude for growing stuff. How hard is it, and what’s an ideal number of seeds to sow so that it gives two people some tomatoes for the summer? I don’t want to become “oh no, here he comes again, and he wants me to have more tomatoes!” guy. We don’t even want enough tomatoes for canning. How bountiful is one successful tomato vine? Any suggestions are welcome.