Gas pumps slowing down when you get close to the purchase price....

Same here. If people are concerned about saving a few seconds when the pump slows down when they pre-pay think of the amount of time they could save if they just pay at the pump.

I think only putting in a certain dollar amount of gas in your tank instead of just filling it up reflects a certain amount of cheapskatery. I’m guessing most people who do it are also the sorts who are going to make sure they get every picoliter of gas they paid for.

Pre-paying and filling it up seems like the biggest time waster of all. You have to go inside, pay what you estimate is above what filling it up would cost, go outside and fill it up, then go back inside again to get your change.

people will do that to save 10 cents a gallon. the stations like it because they hope getting people to come inside will entice them to buy something from the store which they actually make money on.

First World Problem!

The topic is about having to pre-pay.
At certain times, and certain stations, such as during the early hours of the day, you can only pre-pay as a way of thwarting gas theft by drive-offs.

Sometimes, you just have to pre-pay.

Not sure if the sticker is still there, but on gas pumps up here in Canada, they used to have a sticker that said something like “Gas delivery correct at X Farenheight at a legal flow and pressure”.

So as the original poster stated, is the last dribble a “legal flow and pressure” ?

I doubt it. The counter is clicking off $$ but the gas is dripping out the hose.

So, the stations scam you on the last bit.

This is anthropomorphism. If you’re buying $5 worth of gas, the pump is just as accurate dispensing from $1 to $2 as it is going from $4 to $5. The pump should be able to go “$4.70, $4.80, $4.90, stop”.

Not necessarily - even though the pump may be able to accurately measure the amount of gas dispensed when delivering at full speed, it may not be able to shut the pump off quickly enough to prevent over-dispensing. In other words, when going from $1 to $2, it might detect the $2 mark after $2.05 has been dispensed.