Gavels (and maces)

And then the mace was found again “under an overpass”.

Not like the mace of the “senate” of Vic.Aus, which was stolen in 1851 and never recovered. A formal inquiry found that it was /not/ taken across the road to a brothel :), (The parliament building is in what used to be in a rather grotty part of the CBD)
Technical notes: actually just made of wood (like any hammer), and can’t be just melted down for money. And that big “warhead” is actually the counter-weight/pommel/ “other end”. The hammer end shrunk to nothing when it became a symbol of office, then the pommel bulked up.

Served him right for what he did to the soprano who told him she was pregnant. I’d say his set of priorities was baroque, but I understand elucidator looks in on the forum from time to time, and I’m already on thin ice with him…

During a recent visit to Norfolk, Va., I saw the municipal mace, said to be the only pre-American Revolution city mace still in use: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g50470-d8036243-Reviews-Slyman_s_Tavern-Independence_Ohio.html

I think that’s a link to a moderately-priced restaurant in Ohio.

D’oh! Try this: Norfolk's Historic Mace & Seal | City of Norfolk, Virginia - Official Website

nm