GenderqueerID: are these terms really used by (in some cases) by more than just a few people?

Why?
If they ask me “is Jenny straight?” and I know she likes girls and say “I think she’s a lesbian”, it’s a good general description even she’s self-identifies as something else.

Also, the LGBTQ logos are going to become unmanageable.

Other than sheer bigotry (deliciousness?), what is the point of this?

I don’t need to reply, since the answer, by your rights, is given.

Enjoy your moral superiority.

I, a Two-spirit FofSFs, think this list, and thread, is fabulous.

ETA: wait, I am a bigot, conceivably, relative to #28, if it involves Nazis. They’re scum.

The OP has apparently not been to Portland, capitol of… all the people on the list above!! My trans sister convinced me to move here. And there’s a term which isn’t on there… genderflippety. I made it up. :slight_smile: However, I have heard it USED!

I kinda thought the entire point of life was to be morally superior on issues of basic morality.

A number of these don’t seem to be intended as separate categories, either. I’m not really familiar with much of the terminology but I suspect that, say, “Cis Female” and “Cisgender Female” are mostly synonyms rather than alternatives.

“Cis” has become a pejorative, I am surprised they list it.:eek:

Only in the eyes of TERFs who’ve made up a false etymology in order to pretend Those Trannies Hate Real Women.

You’ll occasionally find an insane trans activist who spits it like an invective, but they’re the trans equivalent of ‘feminists’ who do the same with ‘man’, and I’m sure you’d never claim that ‘man’ is a pejorative.

What I like about this list is that it does emphasize the fact that gender is useful as a personal descriptor, but not so much as a collective descriptor. Many people are male, but identifying as male doesn’t really tell us that much about a person. Having many similar but subtly different values available makes it less easy to filter, and more easy to interpret as a personal statement rather than a group identification. The groups could be so small as to be practically non-existent.

There’s also, helpfully, a separate question for “Interested in” and always has been. This is something Facebook got right from the beginning (or nearly so); your gender is not related to your preferences, though they can be influenced by each other. So Ají de Gallina, you can always answer “No, she’s into women.” You’ll note lesbian is not a value on this list.

Yeah, but the point is the difference between “honest mistake” or “not simply caring much” and “insensitive moron”.
If I say “I thnk she’s into women” and she’s actually into “bicurious preop FTM” am I a bigot?

For those who think that these variant gender terms are not seen outside of a college campus, or even outside of a few subgroups of college, incorrect. I lecture routinely to Junior High and High Schools on transsexual and gender issues, and I am called in as a group and individual counselor for gender-variant students and groups. These terms are in use by kids as young as 11, primarily passed on from their peers who have similar problems.

Well, if there’s one thing the Balkans are known for, it’s not caring what group or subgroup someone belongs to. Gangbusters idea.

You guys need to visit San Francisco some time. :slight_smile:

I don’t live in the city, but close enough that it’s not uncommon to encounter those terms in news and entertainment.

Witness: Hir playing now at a theater near you.

I didn’t even know what it means until now (I found I’m a “male with a male gender identity”–how dull is that?) and am still not sure how to pronounce it, but it’s already supposed to be offensive?

I laughed because all this self-splintering risks turning the LGBT (when the hell did people add Queer to the list, and why?) community into the Southern Baptists, and makes it easy for some members of the majority group, the CISers, to laugh at them and dismiss the entire clade of non-“traditional” people as as a bunch of nuts. Arguing amongst yourselves and splitting your group into ever-smaller chunks is not the path to political power. Save that for the Pride Parade, which seems custom-made to provide the rubes something to laugh at.

I mean, I’m especially attracted to pretty women with red hair, long legs, and small-to-medium-size breasts, but I don’t build my politics around it. I do not identify myself by who I fuck, and I find who you fuck to be pretty uninteresting. Gay, straight, or whatever, I really don’t want to hear about it. I’m only in this thread because my daughter’s boyfriend turns out to be biologically female (it took me five years to figure it out–I told you I don’t care about these things), and I’m being a supportive father by making an effort to care, but the question in the OP points out how counter-productive this Balkanization is.

I believe what is hilarious is that a term like “girlfag,” which contains a pejorative, might possibly be less offensive that “gay.”

If you’re talking about the Q at the end of LGBTQ, it isn’t for Queer. It stands for Questioning. Hope that helps.

I don’t know how or why, but it* is* a pejorative, like it or no. Some words start out rather innocently (Like “Jap” as a shortening of “Japanese” or Brit, etc) but they become pejorative’s thru usage.

It’s now something that no polite person should use.

Yeah. That whole racial cleansing thing…

Yes, these are terms used by people. One of my old friends was a gay man in a woman’s body, who coincidentally liked to crossdress sometimes (so you get a biological woman that looks like a man, dressed up as a woman, without going drag queen). He found another gay man in a woman’s body to love, and watching from the outside it’s about as genderfuck as it gets for those who have no idea.

After that and pansexuals, it simply becomes easier to just not care about the details anymore. Love who or what you want, how you want, looking however you want. Life’s just easier that way. I can understand how labels makes it easier for some people to be who they are, so label away. Whatever I am, it never mattered much to me.

These are primarily literary, rather than spoken, terms throughout most of the United States. That means people are more likely to read them than ever hear them in a normal conversation.

And frankly, they are of rather limited utility as more often than not, the person using will have to explain themselves repeatedly after using as they people who they encounter will simply have no idea what they mean. When you are constantly explaining yourself, you are in my experience, failing to communicate.