General Aviation folk, I need your help again ~

Old FAA safety poster: A prop on the loose / Could cook your goose!

Flying milk stools. Looking it up when saje’s husband bought it, I was surprised they are as fast as (or two knots faster than) a Skyhawk.

Today turned out to be a good good day :slight_smile:

They had him up and walking (well, shuffling with a fair amount of prompting to look up & keep going… But still!) , they’ve got some real pain meds into him & not just morphine, and he sat up and fed himself dinner!! Again it was with a bit of prompting, but apparently he was not pleased about being spoon-fed and when handed the fork he ticked right in.

I know this is a tiny step, but damn… :smiley: :smiley:

Good! :slight_smile:

How is is speech? (My father suffered TBI in a car crash, so this sort of thing hits very close to home.)

Once he speaks it’s just about normal now, no rasp and no slurring. He doesn’t yet volunteer speech, and sometimes it takes a lot of prodding to get an answer, but my unscientific theory is that finding the words and thinking about a reply actually hurts at this point, so he avoids it. Sometimes his answers though are very prompt and clear, but mostly he takes some encouraging, and does best finding the right response if given a choice. (Is it 2006 or 2016?) So far he’s picked the right answers right off the bat.

I’m very cautiously encouraged :slight_smile:

Thanks for the updates. It sure sounds like he’s improving a great deal in a short period of time.

AIUI the faster the early improvement the more likelihood of a better eventual end-state. It definitely sounds like you’ve got a darn good medical team there, wherever “there” is.

Hooray! :slight_smile: We’re all cheering for you & for him.

Brief update,

He’s doing amazingly well :slight_smile: He was moved to Carolinas Rehabilitation in Charlotte (from Palmetto Richland hospital in Columbia, SC) on Monday, and today had his round of various therapist evals done. Everyone seems pleased with where he is in his recovery, and there already are muttering a that he might be able to go home sooner than their 3 wk average stay. His speech is clear, his mobility and physical function is good for someone who’s been horizontal for over a week and hasn’t eaten much in that time, and his memory and mental processing is not out of bounds horrible considering everything.

I’m so pleased and relieved! It’s still going to be a slog to get him well, but it’s looking a lot more do-able than it did a few days ago.

If anyone wants to see the result of a prop blow to the skull, take a peek here:

29 staples that should come out tomorrow. :eek:

Great news! Glad to hear good news.

And, ouch!!!

WOW. Seriously lucky. Thanks for the updates. Interested to hear exactly how it happened.

Ouch.

I’m glad to hear he’s doing well.

Both of you hang tough.

Great news! Glad to hear it.

Been offline for a few days, but I’ll still chime in with a loud YAY!

One more small update -

He’s coming home today! No walking aids needed, no professional homecare needed, and he’s pretty much his usual self. There are some cognitive deficits still for sure, attention, focus, and some sequencing type things are hard. And he’s still headachey and has some positional and effort-induced vertigo, but it’s all getting better. It’ll be 3 months or so before he’s cleared to drive, and at least 6 before he can begin to go back to work (he’s a physician so they aren’t just going to toss him back into that job!).

And he’s already talking about his next plane, the one he wants to build… Sigh…

:stuck_out_tongue:

Keeping him home is going to be a bitch!

Hooray!!! It’s good to hear he wants to get back on that horse. Frustrating for you, but it gives him another reason to push like heck on his rehab.

Meantime, you’re practicing for his/your eventual retirement. Lots of folks discover they like their spouse a lot better when they’re gone 40+ hours a week. Better to fix that now than later.

Good luck with everything & keep us posted.

What he said. ↑ ↑ ↑

Glad to hear it. That’s good news.

Yep, if he’s already planning to build a plane, he’s 90% of the way there.

wonderful news. Did he ever say how it happened?

I think he’s more PO’d about the damage to the nearly new prop than he is about the damage to his head!

The prop

Certifiable, he is.

When we went to the hangar the first thing he did was to turn the mags on to see if the strobes were going. and they were. He can’t believe that he ignored those and kept doing whatever he was doing, but there doesn’t seem to be any other explanation. :confused:

Sounds normal to me! :slight_smile: