Generally, what can you expect from a housekeeper?

My wife and I have gone through at least a dozen house-keepers/cleaners over the past 18 or so years. We pay our current housekeeper $130 for each visit, and schedule her for 2 to 3 times per month, depending on the month. During the Fall/Winter months we schedule her more often than the Spring/Summer months. We have paid as much as $185 per visit, but that was for a short 3-month stint that began in October of one year, and only because we were in a bind and somewhat desperate.

Our housekeeper arrives at 7:30 every other Saturday morning and takes between 4 and 5 hours to clean. Our house is a 2-story colonial and approximately 3600 sq/ft. She dusts all the surfaces and vacuums the floors in all the bedrooms, living room, family room, dining room, and foyer. She also changes the bed linen in our bedroom, and loads and starts the washer in the laundry room if there are clothes to be washed, and transfers anything already in the washer to the dryer. She also organizes the closet in the laundry room as that is where all her cleaning supplies, buckets, and cloths are kept, and lets my wife know whenever items are running low. She spends most of her time cleaning the 3 bathrooms, breakfast room, and kitchen. In the kitchen, in addition to washing down and disinfecting all the surfaces, she removes, cleans, and replaces everything in the refrigerator, and fills and starts the dishwasher if there is anything in the sink or on the stove.

My wife is very picky and prefers the housekeeper not to bring or use her own supplies or equipment. We have a central vac so the housekeeper just has to take the hose around to plug into the receptacles in each room instead of lugging a bulky vacuum cleaner around the house and up and down stairs.

We don’t have any children so the house doesn’t really become really dirty during the period between her visits but it is a good-sized house so cleaning takes a while.

My wife and I used to have what I consider to be a ridiculous habit of cleaning, or at least tidying up, before the housekeeper arrived. We are typically out of the house during the day and there is never too much out of place anyway so I put a stop to that nonsense. If the housekeeper does pick up something and doesn’t know where it should be placed, she typically places it on the table in the breakfast room, which is the most conspicuous and centrally located area of the house.

When the housekeeper is done, the house looks and smells amazing, and everything seems brighter. It’s a noticeable difference. On the way out my wife will hand her a check and confirm the date of her next visit. If my wife doesn’t confirm a date with her that typically means the housekeeper did something pretty egregious that my wife did not like, which also typically means a search for a replacement.

We have had issues with housekeepers who have broken things. That things get broken from time to time is expected. What causes us not to have someone back again if she breaks something and doesn’t tell us about it and we find out after she leaves, sometimes days later. I don’t understand the logic here. Do they think if they don’t tell us we won’t notice or won’t know it was they who broke it?

We have had one issue with theft that we know of, and that was only because a representative of the agency she worked for questioned her about a personalized item in her possession and then called us to check. Had the rep not done so we probably would never have known the item was taken. Needless to say we didn’t have the housekeeper back, and don’t know if the agency disciplined or fired her.

In our experience, the independent cleaners who work for themselves, instead of one of the mid-sized agencies such as Merry Maids, are more reliable, more flexible, do a better job, and are more honest. We have routinely had housekeepers place money (typically change) they’ve found during the course of their cleaning on our table in the breakfast room for us to find.

I think this bears repeating: Avoid Merry Maids and Molly Maids at all costs. We have tried Merry Maids 3 times (2 times too many), and Molly Maids once. They’re terrible, and literally have a list of things they don’t do, and what they do they don’t do well, and they’re overpriced for the quality of service they provide.

This was my first thought. I have enough issues finding things that my husband “puts away” - just last week, I had to search for the charger for our weed whacker. (It was in a bookcase. Not in the garage. Not in the garden shed.)

We’ve had cleaners in the past - both friends of friends and franchise service. As far as I was concerned, they all did fairly superficial cleaning. I can run the vacuum cleaner in the traffic areas. I want someone who will pull the furniture away from the wall and clean to the baseboards. No, I don’t expect the piano and china hutch to be moved, but the sofa and end tables can be slid out fairly easily.

Anyway, I was never satisfied with the job they did. Mind you, I’m not a fanatical housekeeper myself, but if you’re going to dust, you need to move everything, not just dust *around *the items sitting on tables and shelves. And I shouldn’t come home to puddles of water on the counter - not water spots - actual puddles! And then there was the time someone had obviously been playing with the dart board - if you’re going to goof off while you’re supposed to be working, at least remember where the toys sat before you took your “break.”

I see many of you have had good experiences. Sadly, I didn’t. So I suck it up and do it myself - less frequently than a cleaner would, but lots less irritation for me.

How well they do all depends on the initial expectations you set. Whenever we meet a new house cleaner, my wife walks her through the entire house and lays down the rules of what to clean, how, and with what. If the house cleaner has a problem with my wife’s requirements she is thanked for her time and we move on. It is as simple as that. We have had a few who either couldn’t or wouldn’t meet my wife’s expectations but, thankfully, this is typically determined at the initial visit.

My wife has the house cleaner move only small furniture such as end tables, but she does vacuum between cushions and on the upholstery of chairs and sofas, in the direction of the nap, which leaves a nice finished look. She also rolls up all the area and room rugs in the house and vacuums the floors beneath them.

As others have posted upthread, we also give our cleaner an end of year bonus. It’s not much, but she always appreciates it.

Something else that may (or may not) be unique to us is we always have better results from a single person rather than a team of two or three. I am not sure why but teams don’t clean as well… ever. It could be the constant chatting is a distraction, I don’t know, but the proof speaks for itself.

The ones I’ve known who were able to do that either limited themselves to doing it in the kitchen (where it is easy to figure out that the dishes go on top of the other dishes of the same size and shape), or fell into what’s called criadas in Spanish: literally, “raised”. That is, the person they worked for was the person who’d taught them how to clean, cook, etc.

Everything else, it’s either:

• don’t touch anything which looks out of place,
  • leave things such as laundry or ironing in neat piles for the owners to put away,
  • or you’ll need a GPS, a compass and a magic wand to find anything.

Most people dislike the third option. In fact, one of the hardest things about having cleaners in work spaces is that they tend to move things you don’t want moved: getting them to understand that you do want them to dust the bookcases thoroughly but treat the desk as radioactive takes a few tries.

We had a wonderful housekeeper who put everything away in sensible places (we had hired her primarily to keep us from drowning in laundry and dishes when we had a 4-year-old and a newborn). When she left, we used a friend of hers who was… not as good about where she chose to put stuff away. After finding the library books behind the games in the back of a cabinet :eek:, we asked her to either leave piles untouched or consolidate them out in the open.