Generous or a Fool?

Personally, I am skeptical of the sob stories (and there have been many) I’ve been told, but even if I am being lied to, that doesn’t bother me. It’s my choice to give them money, and as soon as that money has left my hands, it’s no longer mine to determine what it’s used for. Frankly, it bothers me to have grown adults justifying their use of it to me. They’re adults (mostly). If they decide they need to ask a stranger for money, they can also decide how to spend it. I don’t know why other people aren’t more skeptical, but I don’t think they need to trust beggars anyway. There is no relationship being built, and there is no exchange taking place. The gift of money to a stranger shouldn’t have any more strings attached to it than a gift to a friend.

I don’t see why it matters, really, because you’re going to get “taken” no matter what. They’re doing the asking. You decide whether or not to give. I doubt there are any stats available regarding how much panhandled money is spent on non-food, but I’m sure it’s a pretty big percentage. If it bothers you, donate money to a shelter or food pantry, and direct beggars to it. If it doesn’t bother you, give some money and don’t worry about it. In either case, the beggars’ need for money is real, whether it be to fuel an addiction, or escapism, or an empty stomach. If I was living on the street with all its attendant miseries, I’d probably want some Mad Dog more than a sandwich, and it would still be my business, not yours.

I don’t see how this is even relevant. Liquor producers are in the business to make money. Mad Dog and its ilk are produced from the leftovers of other liquor production. Why shouldn’t they sell it? They’re making it anyway, so they bottle it and give it a name. This is in no way different from every other manufacturer of every other product out there. Get off your high horse. Or do you honestly believe that poor people shouldn’t be allowed to drink? Is that it?