Genesis 29:17... huh?

With those statements, you did offer your opinion on every religious belief conceivable. You already admitted this isn’t the forum for it, and so it’s over. I’m certainly not going to the Pit about it. I’ve just learned that this is not a perfect place, like every other place or group anyone has ever met. It’s full of people, and as such has its unique problems. I just stay away from these topics here as a general rule. The amount of uniformed venom sprayed around about religion can be truly astonishing.

Mind you, I’m not saying that you’re uninformed. I wouldn’t know.

(actually, I know for a fact that MrO is very informed regarding the topic at hand… but don’t tell him I said so!) :wink:

The verson I have simply says the meaning of the hebrew there is uncertain.

The weird thing to me is that even though Jacob wasn’t all that attracted to Leah, Leah bore him four sons. Was that spontaneous pregnancy, or immaculate conception?

Leah and Jacob did indeed get it on, despite that he loved Rachel more. Jacob also did Leah and Rachel’s maids, too. That’s how he ended up with a ton of kids.

A tidbit: people say all the time that Jacob worked 14 years for Rachel. Technically he did, but didn’t. After he woke up the day after marrying Leah (and found Leah in bed with him instead of Rachel), he went to his FIL and said “What’s this? You said I could have Rachel!” His FIL went “yeah, but we don’t marry the younger daughter here. Finish Leah’s wedding week and then you can have Rachel but you’ve gotta work another 7 years for her.” So Jacob got Rachel soon after he married Leah, but had to work off his debt to his FIL for her.

I kinda like it that, even though Rachel was favored by Jacob, it is Leah who is the ancestor of Jesus :slight_smile: