Genital mutilation of young girls. But it's a religious thing!

It is the men in high power that indoctrinate them from birth, and threaten them with torture and/or death if they deviate from that deviant norm.

There’s that allyship from Andy again, paired with “I don’t care what thoughtful people (including a highly credentialed Yale expert, that I’ll try to dismiss as ‘some blogger’) have to say, I’m going to stubbornly insist on this segregation anyway, from the ignorant perspective I prefer.” :smack:

SlackerInc for someone who evidently does not understand how masturbation works you sure have a lot of opinions about it. Since when do men only rub on the glans to masturbate? Only thing I’ve ever seen is they grab hold of the shaft and start thwapping away.

Then your understanding is clearly incomplete. And why in the world are you saying I don’t understand how masturbation works? I assure you, I have a great deal of experience in that area!

So do I, both watching and participating. 100% of the time, thwapping away on the shaft, both cut and uncut.

Would y’all mind going elsewhere to masturbate?

It looks like the problem is growing in Colombia, too.

I don’t feel I have a good understanding of why people remove the clitoris or infibulate.

Wow, 100% you say! I guess I must be a figment of my own imagination then. :rolleyes:

These are Brian Earp’s credentials, by the way:

Yep, just some blogger! :rolleyes:

According to Wiki and the Colombia article, one of the reasons is that men supposedly prefer a smooth service because an enlarged clitoris reminds them of a penis-just a bit of homophobia there-so the goal is to have as smooth a surface as possible.

… Nah, too easy.

I don’t think there’s a single identifiable reason or set of reasons: all the reasons stated or hypothesized for it appear to be ultimately after-the-fact justifications or rationalizations of a traditional practice that’s extremely old (pre-Abrahamic religions in Africa). This article says:

Apologies for any part I played in inadvertently assisting a thread hijack. I’ll suggest that from now on, any time someone wants to respond to Slacker (or someone else) about something other than the thread topic (FGM), they can quote his post but actually post it in the following thread, thus hopefully moving such hijacking discussions out of this FGM thread: https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?p=21362963

This may be the new winner of the “dumbest post ever” on the SDMB. You really think there’s much of an overlap between Jews/Muslims and the #MAGA “cohort”?

Because close to 100% of all male Jews and Muslims are circumcised.

You’ve always been known as an idiot around here, but geez…at least try to keep some vague semblance of dignity as you troll.

A law that specifically prohibits genital cutting may not be all that important. My state has one; our neighbor to the north with Muslim communities does not. There are good arguments for and against it, and there are reasons to suspect that the motivations behind such legislation aren’t all about protecting kids. In the meantime, we don’t have any comparative medical mainstream form of female circumcision here, it’s an underground practice, and so there is no distinction made between “just a nick” and a clitorectomy – it’s a criminal act. Zero tolerance. No one, male or female, old or young, Republican or Democrat, seems to lack the will to charge a grandma or a respectable doctor with assault to discourage the practice. Which is fine by me.

The paragraph from the article you included shares a trait with other scholarship, in that it focuses on the different pieces and parts affected with cutting rituals in an academic fashion. Within the US, there’s no need for anyone to do this and I’ve found it unhelpful for two reasons: this approach neglects the characteristics of assault, which is what informs the views of law enforcement more so than the similarity to male circumcision, and the fact that all of these classifications assume that razor-wielding grandmas everywhere use them in a precise and standardized way. The latter is plain fucking ridiculous; I doubt that thinking survives outside of an academic setting. The habit of rating these rituals free and clear of any psychological aspects is also kind of disconnected from humanity, but it a different direction. The best, clearest, strongest argument for zero tolerance is the trauma built into the practices that elevate them beyond “just a little nick.”

And that applies to boys and girls, there would be little difference.

Absolutely true. It is supported by and performed by women.

:smack: Way to show off your own lack of perspicaciousness and general dumbassery, in spectacular, ironic fashion. Try reading again the thing you JUST POSTED, including your quoting of my post. Now try to find what in my post conflicts with the true statement that “close to 100% of all male Jews and Muslims are circumcised.”. Unless you are even dumber than you seem, you won’t find any conflict when you look again, more carefully this time. But in case you are sitting there slackjawed and glassy-eyed, just not geting it, I’ll give you a few hints:

—“Majority” does not mean “all”.
—“Roughly” does not mean “precisely” or “identically”.
—“This country” is different from “the world”.
—Muslims and Jews make up only a very small percentage of the U.S. population.

Now, if this didn’t take, feel free to come back at me with what specifically in my post actually is contradicted by your statement about Muslims and Jews. Specifically. Good luck!

Andy, let’s try framing this in a way you might understand:

How would you feel about a thread started by a ciswoman about the experience of being a rape victim, and when a transwoman chimed in with her experience, the ciswomen shouted her down, saying the thread was only for women-born-women, with “real vaginas”, to share their feelings about penis-in-vagina rape? That okay by you?

Responded in the hijack-prevention thread: https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=866776

Hijack prevention thread appreciated. Just wanted to express an apology to SlackerInc here, and will go into more detail there.

Have I told you lately that I love you?