George Michael - Overrated or what?

His version of “Somebody to Love” at the Freddie Mercury tribute concert stole the show IMO. It gave me chills.

Good, I hope you like it.

For anyone interested, thirty second clips of each song from this album can be previewed by clicking here and scrolling down to the player.

I like some of his music but I think the video for “Freedom ‘90” is probably the most erotically charged and sensuous videos I’ve ever seen. Some of the most beautiful supermodels (male and female) writhing, wriggling, sweating…
I think I’m going to need a cold shower now.

Seems a bit overrated to me, and is becoming something of a self-parody nowadays. That said, I have both “A Different Corner” and his duet with Elton John, “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me” on my iPod, and like 'em both a lot.

Don’t think he’s overrated. I think he’s got real talent. He just can’t seem to overcome his inner demons as it were. It’s soooo cliche.

FWIW, Elton John was right when he criticized him for basically being a screw-up.

I think he has an amazing voice! I like all of his stuff, from the very first Wham! album on through all his career. I think his personal troubles have maybe affected his artistic output somewhat, but I always look forward to hearing more from him.

He is one of those artists who seems to get more recognition/bigger hits with his weaker material. Take the album “Faith.” The title song is ok, but nothing special, and it was a huge hit. The songs “Hard Day” and “Kissing a Fool” are much, much better from both a songwriting & performance standpoint, but were not released as singles, I don’t think. Not sure if they would have been as successful as “Faith” and “Father Figure,” but they are great songs. I think he gets written off as a bubble gum/pop artists because people don’t hear tracks like “Kissing a Fool.”

An ex, and now my wife, both browbeat me into listening to George Michael. I still don’t like his music, but I can’t help but agree that he’s a very talented songwriter, with a great voice.

“Freedom” is an irresistable song for me. I don’t really know much about his career after that. Wham reminds me of doing aerobics to “Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go” in jr. high. Misery.

He’s got a fine work ethic, you have to admit. Putting in all those extra hours at the banana stand.

:smack: :: Groans :: Oh, Tracy.
I will say, George Michael is one of a handful of white recording artists I can think of who has placed #1 for singles “Faith” and “Father Figure” on black Top Ten urban music charts. Who else has done that in the last 20 years besides Eminem?

I wouldn’t say he has a great voice. It is great in the world of pop music. Which isn’t saying a whole lot.

I like his stuff when I hear it, but I don’t own any of it.
I didn’t realize he actually wrote and played music as well.