German guillotine picture

In the photo in the OP, the curtain on the left appears to be behind the guillotine and against the wall. I could understand it being in front of the guillotine, but why behind it? (Unless there’s a window in the wall, and the curtain obscures the machine until the moment of execution.)

I think it’s the same room; it even has the same hexagonal tiles on the floor.

There has been a memorial space at Brandenburg-Görden since 1964; it may have been rearranged, repainted, etc more than once, so what we could be seeing is photographs of the same room taken not only at differeng angles but at different times.

I think you’re right. Looking again, I had initially thought there was less space to the left of the guillotine in your photo - the room just looks a bit less spacious, but counting the tiles on the floor, there is at least as much clearance at the bucket end of the thing.

Also, comparing the wreaths, I think it’s possible to match up the positions of some of the flowers between the two photos.

Furthermore, I think the curtain in the initial photo isn’t as close to the wall as it might appear - looking at the shadow at the right side, it looks like the curtain rail may be a few feet off the wall - a bit like a privacy curtain around a hospital bed.

I highly recommend this movie; Scholl and her brave codefendants were executed by guillotine. The movie shows the process of Nazi executions in chillingly clinical (but non-bloody, at least on-screen) detail.

Agreed. I saw it in the last year or so at a local college film showing. This thread reminded me of it immediately. Chilling is exactly the right word.