German Speakers: Is There a Word for "Put?"

That sounds dangerously close to how we speak at home:

“I’ve done the upwash”
“I weiß”

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beyerhund das Oder die Flipperwald gersput!

Ja, Ja, make dat mal!

That can you forgotten! :wink:

Make I anyway!

Sorry, but in correct Denglish this should have been: Make I solikeso. <Runs>

I excuse me with you for mine mistake. :slight_smile:

It’s ok. Like they say, German language, difficult language. And you can say you to me. (I really have to stop now)

You really should take this more seriously. Here is a good start:

Sid Caesar - The German General

Bwahaaa. Hilarious. “Du hast gespritzt an der general…Du hast gespritzt in der eye (Ei)”. Very racy for the 1950s, or else I just have a sick imagination.

I always find it funny when I hear Germans basically do just this with new, usually technology-based verbs like “to google” or “to email”:

-Hast du was gegooglt?
-Ich google es gleich, dann emaile ich dich.

(I’m sure I made a number of mistakes in my tiny example).

Only one tiny one: “…, dann emaile ich dir.” (it’s the dative)

But yes, we do it all the time. We checken, voten, liken, even downloaden, and so on.

:smack: of course. (would what I wrote basically mean taking someone and putting them in an email and sending it?)

Of course not. I didn’t think that that was true before the thread either.

The line was just supposed to be funny. My explanation before and after made it clear that it was just a linguistic difference.

It’s funny when they merely use German inflections on English words, but it can be befuddling when they subtly change the meaning as well. Last week I got the following strange e-mail concerning a help desk support ticket I’d filed:

It took me a while to figure out that my original e-mail to technical support hadn’t really bounced; it had merely been forwarded to Herr Mustermann.

Yes, your whole example makes perfectly sense in a modern conversation.

I don’t think that’s common usage, I haven’t seen bounce used in that sense before. Probably just an individual misconception. But the general phenomenon surely exists.