Getting a lawyer if you win the lottery

Yeah, but the winner doesn’t have to be a human being. It can be SDMB, Inc.*

I suppose I could figure out what type of corporate structure would be the most advantageous to me and my progeny, and file the proper paperwork for me, but I can see that a lawyer would be pretty helpful.

*Not affiliated with the Straight Dope Message Board, or any parent, affiliate, assignee or successor thereof.

Yes and no. The Human Fund may well tell me to take a hike if they don’t like where the money came from, if the sudden windfall will create problems with other donors, or if they just don’t like the color of the check. The last one is a joke, but the first two aren’t. Some charities have problems accepting money from what they perceive to be immoral sources, such as gambling or alcohol sales. The second comes into play when people believe that the five million or whatever means they won’t have to donate. Yeah, they have the five million in hand right now, but that money is going to run out sooner or later, and if they have no donations coming in, it’s going to hurt them in the long term.

Of course, my checkbook would snap shut and I’d find a charity that wanted the money.

You could always donate to the SL&DF
Is there any requirement for the press conference? I live in a state that will require my name to be published but I don’t want to make it any easier for the scammers & hanger’s on to have my name & picture. IRL name is just common enough that I can say it’s not me if they don’t know what the winner looked like.

*Spidey Lunch & Dinner Fund
With a large enough donation, lunch will be in Tahiti & dinner (a few nights later) in France

Here in Canada there is a requirement to both reveal your name and to allow the lottery corp to publish your picture.

One of my way out plans involved the use of theatrical makeup for the press conference and photo session. I figure I could add 30lbs, change my hair and eye colour with just makeup, contacts and some well padded clothes. Unfortunately my name is NOT common so I’m kinda screwed there.

I know the first call I would make.
mmm

What if you belong to a religion that forbids picture taking?

In that vein, could you show up in a Burka and claim you’re a fundamentalist Muslim.

You are completely free to turn down the prize and not have your picture taken.

I’ll let you guys all know what steps I take after I win this evening.

After getting your official 1% Membership Card of course.

1%? I don’t have time for those wannabes. I mean they’re cute and all but they’re not really the calibur of people I’d care to associate with.

No, I’d be taking home around $350 million and probably be earning around 7 million in interest alone. That’s not even the top .1%, that’s approaching the top .01%

They don’t give out membership cards to us. Our assistants carry it around for us.

Ummm, sorry but you’re reading my lines from the queue card again. :smack: :smiley:

Since I’ve never seen anything when purchasing a ticket about if I win the state must share my name &/or require a press conference. Could I win, not accept their terms since they weren’t made clear until later (a change in conditions?) & then sue the state lottery commission as John Doe for my winnings anonymously?

Good luck with that. The back of my ticket states “Determination of winners is subject to the rules and regulations of the California Lottery.” I bet your ticket says something incredibly similar for your state. And I bet you can guess what’s covered in those rules and regulations.

My press conference would be me saying “no comment” over and over again until they got bored and left.

Hell, I’d have a blast at the press conference.

“No cults need apply. That includes the RCC, thank you very much.”

“Anybody who asks never gets. That’s what I hired these lawyers for. If you ask me for anything, they will make sure you never profit in any fashion from what I do with the money.”

“Jennifer Aniston - $3 million to the ASPCA if you go on E! and show us your tits.”

Then drop trou, moon the camera, flip off Geraldo and go on my merry way.

Granted my lawyering skills consist of a business law class in college, but since you don’t get the ticket until after you’ve paid & it’s been printed, you weren’t able to see those conditions until after the fact; therefore, they’re being ‘imposed’ on you after the transaction is complete.

Quite frankly, if they’re cutting me a check for $320,000,000, one of the requirements could be that I walk on stage naked and I’d do it without thinking twice.

The rest of y’all would regret it, though.

I’ll bet if you look on your state lottery site you’ll find a whole page of rules and conditions, all of which are available for you to consult without having to buy a ticket first.

This is what my state’s pagelooks like.

Of course if you’re really, really unhappy, I imagine they’d refund your dollar. No harm, no foul.

Also, if you go to a lottery kiosk or your local lottery agent (gas station, grocery store, whatever), the rules and conditions are almost certainly publicly displayed and/or available somewhere.

I would think that a lawyer would help with paperwork, and you would need a financial planner as well
…More money, more problems,you know and I’d want good help on my side.