Gift for a couple planning a 2 week trip to europe

GPS. If they have a smart phone, get them the TomTom app for Europe. Even when I don’t rent a car when I go abroad, I love knowing what’s around me and sometimes where I even am. The TomTom app is usable offline so won’t incur data charges. Or a standalone GPS is good too. It helps when finding a metro station, walking to a point of interest, or remembering where the car was parked.

Personally I agree. I suppose a broke college student might appreciate money, or decent backpack or something, but it doesn’t sound like that’s the case here. As someone who has traveled a reasonable amount, I’m generally not really looking to bring extra stuff along, I want space in my luggage to bring stuff back. I appreciate advice on good travel gear, but I still want to pick my own stuff.

If the trip is to celebrate an achievement then I would give something in honor of that achievement, not the trip.

Seriously? I’ve never needed anything other than a halfway decent map and some research in guidebooks before I set out.

GPS is for pussies.

What a really strange thing to be a complete dick about.

Says the guy that needs a strap for his camera.

I meant it half tongue-in-cheek, but it didn’t come out that way.

And no, I have the factory straps on my cameras. I said the theft resistant ones would make a good gift in that other thread not that I actually have them.

I deeply love everything I’ve used from Pacsafe.

I agree. What is wrong with giving them some money, folded in a postcard with the Eiffeltower on it, in wich you write some kind words amounting to: “Have fun?”

I carefully plan what I will be carrying with me on extended vacations - I’m not looking for friends to give me stuff that I would feel obliged to carry. Think intangible gifts or something they can use on the return.

Actually, if they’re not frequent travelers, a gift certificate for the airline they’re flying for a(nother) check-in bag might be helpful on the way back if they buy some souvenir.

OR, a day pass to the airport lounge at their returning city/ long layover city. My SO is a Delta Sky Club member and it really makes the journey just feel more civilized with free booze and snacks and lots of places to recharge your gadgets before a flight.