Gilligan's Island

Don’t tell the OP about the Easter Bunny.

It’s not my fault he ran in front of the lawn mower, I feel really crappy about it, you don’t have to keep reminding me about it.

The scenes with Gilligan and the Skipper in the storm were from the “Lost” pilot that was never included in the syndication package (and with a very different cast). It was not in the first “official” Gilligan ep.

Wasn’t there once an episode of Gilligans Island where they almost got rescued but Gilligan screwed it up? Something about, he was supposed to write SOS in flaming logs, but he did it in boldface so the astronauts couldn’t actually read it. Or something.

They wrote SOS in flaming logs, but the Skipper chased Gilligan around and messed up the arrangement until it said “SID,” the name of one of the astronauts.

O_o

nobody will play with me…

“Scores of references”? I don’t know anything about “gilligansisle.com” but I do know that Wikipedia and at least some sections of IMDb, the “Goofs” and “Trivia” sections among them, can be edited by literally anyone. Not credible sources.

Conform motherfucker or the etiquette thugs are gonna get ya.

I’m surprised no one has hollered “It’s half-staff!” yet.

I’m willing to call that half-mast; while marinas are sometimes run by slobs, they tend to be fussy about ropes and lines and flags and so forth. I think a US flag more than one height down from the top would be considered intolerably sloppy by a marina crowd, and some crusty old yacht master would march over and raise it.

I’ve seen many instances where “half mast” was less than actually half the height of the pole, for practical reasons. That looks like the case here.

Just to further explain the delay, Schwartz shot the marina scenes very early in production of the pilot, and the project went through the usual get-away-closer tango broadcasters put producers and production companies through. Then it was accepted and had to build out and shoot in preparation for the following season. So a year’s delay between that shot and first showing is well within normal.

Consider that GI was cancelled while still quite successful, because James Arness had bigger balls and changed his mind.

“SOL.” The astronaut’s name was Sol.

Gilligan was always fucking up their chances to be rescued. In real life, the other castaways would probably have killed him by the end of the first season.

No idea on the whole half-mast theory but I thought it was interesting that Mary Ann and the Professor got snubbed in that first version of the theme song. “And the rest”? There were only two more…fit them in! :smiley:

Hold the phone … if the Skipper would have left Gilligan alone on that episode, the SOS would have stood. Nice going, Grumby.

Paley. William Paley was head of CBS and was responsible for Gunsmoke taking over Gilligan’s time slot.

SFAIK, James Arness had nothing to do with it.

Don Adams, on the other hand, was ready to quit Get Smart after it moved from NBC to CBS a few years later, but he was talked out of it.

IIRC, Gilligan backed into a torch and set his ass on fire. He knocked the logs out of place trying to get to the lagoon to put the fire out.

Why is my post written in red? Places on the Internet say that this post is red. Given that fact, why is it red?

That would mean raising them to co-star status and increasing their salaries while they were junior members of the cast. They were included in the new color titles only at the insistence of Bob Denver. (And yeah, it did suck. :frowning: )

The Minnow had a full crew. One Captain and one First Mate. :smiley:

According to 4 U.S. Code § 7 - Position and manner of display
subsection (m)
-*The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day.

…As used in this subsection—
(1) the term “half-staff” means the position of the flag when it is one-half the distance between the top and bottom of the staff*;

The flag’s position in the video is definitely not at the top of the staff/mast but doesn’t appear to be at the “proper” midway point between the top and bottom of the staff/mast. Assuming this video was shot shortly after JFK was, it’s possible that the flag’s position was an attempt to fly the flag at half staff/mast.

Ha, and much better than my 4/5ths comment.