Gin, battered (ex)girlfriends, and me

Merely a quick stop in to throw some love out for Thomas Handy rye. Also to say MeanOldLady only lives up to one-third of her name with the things she did for Some Woman.

Just as I expected. :cool:

You expected me to be a witch? :dubious:

A not mean, not old, gin drinker.

Do you ever get the feelin’ ya killed a thread and wondered if you did or not?

(Psst: Never shake the martini. It bruises the gin.)

Oh, you totally killed it, and that’s cool. We’ll still let you post here.

I walked past the spot where I ran into the lady, which is the spot I pass almost everyday, and I thought about her. I used to think, “Ooh, I hope I see a bunny!” (the spot is in front of a church where shitloads of bunnies hang out), but instead I thought, “I hope that woman is okay.” Then I thought, “Oh crap, I didn’t put my gin in the freezer last night.” No worries, that’s why god invented ice and all, plus it’s in the freezer now.

I don’t shake martinis. James Bond may know lots about screwing loose women, but he doesn’t know shit about making a martini.

And he likes vodka martinis. Vodka has as much place in a martini as cranberry

Just because you pour it in a martini glass does NOT make it a ****ing martini.

Testify.

NO SHIT!

I can be here all night about why there is no such thing as a chocolate martini, apple martini, banana hazelnut cinnamon martini. Folks, stop pissing me off. Gin. Vermouth. If you want coconuts and sprinkles in a cocktail glass, have at it, but it AIN’T a martini. It’s coconuts and sprinkles in a cocktail glass.

Olives. They’re about the only vegetables I get.

And dammit, now I’ve gotta go make one. All this talk’s making me thirsty.

Now I feel bad.

I bought a bottle of Hendricks the night I got out of the hospital because, hell, you deserve a drink after that, right? Turns out that whatever drugs they have me on make me not like gin anymore, so I gave it away on Saturday. If you had posted this last week I could have hooked you up. :wink:

That was a good thing you did, MOL. :slight_smile:

I normally don’t drink hard alcohol, but I do love me a good martini on occasion. I do believe I’ll have to buy a bottle of gin next time I see the likker store. Vermouth soaked olives? Why didn’t I think of that! I always get too much vermouth in the shaker.

I do hope that woman’s OK, and she wised up. Sadly, many of the abused go back to their abusers, thinking ‘they’ve changed’.

That’s OK. Once the gin is bruised, you can send it to MOL; she’ll see that it gets to a place where it’ll be taken care of. :smiley:

Here’s the thing about martinis, though; I don’t like gin. I despise olives. I do, however, have some martini glasses that I luuurve (they’re very cool; the stem is narrow where it meets the glass, then gradually widens; the bottom of the stem is turned into a “well” (like the deep ‘punt’ at the bottom of some wine bottles, kind of) that hold precisely 1oz. So it’s a martini glass; but if you turn it over, it’s a shot glass! Very, very cool.

So sometimes I make cocktails in them (one of my faves is a Boston Cream Pie: equal parts chocolate liqueur, Irish Cream, vanilla vodka, shaken with ice).

I’ll make ya a deal, though: whatever I serve in my martini glasses, I won’t call them martinis. Well, after the third one I might slip. . .:stuck_out_tongue:

Eh, I find that the best martinis are a 3-1-1 mix of vodka, gin, and vermouth. Twist, no olives.

Good vodkas have subtle flavor differences. I can’t name very many brands of good vodka I’ve seen for sale in the US.

**MOL **is a saint for her actions, we can forgive her for her drinking habits being off. =P

My drinks as of late:

Gin Martini, Ginnantonics
Sailor Jerry’s Navy Rum + Eggnog or Coke
Svedka Vodka + Clamato + dash A1 steak or HP sauce
Oskar Blues Brewery’s Ten Fidy (holy crap is that a thick beer)

I can live with this.

Flattery… my one weakness!

Hey!

This is how you drink:

Bourbon + Glass. Consume.
Irish whisky + Glass. Consume.
Gin + Light rocks + Glass. Consume. Perhaps a splash of lime and/or bitters.
Rum + Glass. Consume.
Scotch + Glass. Consume.
Tequila + Glass. Consume. If cheap tequila, add heavy rocks and lime.
Vodka: Do not consume.

If I drank like that, I’d lose weight.

At least we can agree on the bourbon, whisky, and Scotch. Rum is on my “do not consume” list, though, as it’s froofy as hell.

And I respectfully invite you to get good vodka. Something that hasn’t been distilled and filtered to hell and back. Probably you’ll have to find a specialty store that carries some of the more expensive Russian imports, although Lusokowa isn’t terrible. Stolichnaya is right out, it hasn’t been the same since the Soviet Union fell.

And then you put it in a chilled glass and drink it. I’m not adamantly against mixed drinks, mind you, but if you need ice or mixers to make it palatable then throw it out and buy something you actually like.

Sailor Jerry’s Spiced Navy rum isn’t really rum. It’s liquid Crack. 95 proof and goes with EVERYTHING. Cheap too, a 1.75 can be had around here for $17.

Honestly, I was getting a little worried when that first 1.75 was evaporating an inch a night.
http://www.podcastdirectory.com/podshows/279110