Gin - The beverage, not the card game

Aegypt’s corollary to the Maus Magill rule:

If a country does have a germanic or slavic language, it cannot make wine worth crap.

“If only you knew the power of the dark side,” Ass for a Hat

When you see the frost forming on the outside of the metal container while stirring…and surely you chill your glasses, anyway?

Thanks for the recommendation on the onions (although you probably regret making it now!)

Mmmm Bombay Saphire.

I too am a gin lover.

My advice is simple. When you go to the store, and see a brand of Gin that matches your last name, DON’T BUY IT.

I never realized what a difference there is in Gin until the day I bought McCormick brand Gin because I thought it was cool because that’s my last name.

:eek: Where’s the vomiting smiley?

E3 (McCormick)

Bombay Sapphire.

Tanq is good too, but a little lacking in personality for a martini. Which, if you want to make it correctly, should be damp, dirty and bruised (eleven shakes, no more, no less) and strained over a pile of olives, big, fat, juicy olives…

It is five to eight in the morning, I may have a problem… I have to wait twelve hours before I can make myself a glass of Ambrosia.

Bombay is fine for martinis for me.

I highly recommend to anyone who primarily uses gin for G&Ts to use something like Seagrams. A good gin might make the drink slightly better, but tonic is so sweet and overpowering that you’re really wasting your money on good gin.

You can always make your own :wink:

Hey, Germany makes some damn good wines. As do South Africa, Australia, and the U.S.

I guess your corollary isn’t quite as good as Maus Magill’s original rule.

Flemish is indeed Germanic, but Walloon is weirdy French.

Just for the record, I’ve had really good beer in Syria - not very Slavic :wink:

I was always under the impression that a “Vodka martini” is technically a Kangaroo, which this site seems to agree with. However, I can’t imagine Bond ordering a Kangaroo - shaken, not stirred.

As far as gin goes, I’m a Sapphire man myself.

Back around 1979, when I ws first old enough to go to bars, I got on the grapefruit and gin kick as my favorite mixed drink. It was called a “Salty Dog” in these parts back then and came with salt around the glass rim, like a Margarita, but in a highball glass. In the last decade or so, when I order a Salty Dog, I usually get a puzzled look, then end up with vodka and grapefruit juice instead of gin. Now it’s a moot point as due to medications I’m taking, I’m suppose to stay away from grapefruit. :frowning:

Bombay Saphire is my favorite for Martinis right now. I especially like the designer glass they sell with a bottle during Christmas season. Missed out on last year’s model. Haven’t tried Tanqueray but I’ve seen it mentioned in a couple of places lately so I think I will buy a bottle soon.

Too true! I know how to make the “Perfect Martini” now. :cool: I took a Learning Annex class in San Diego, “How to Make a Perfect Martini,” held at the Martini Ranch. It was such a fun class, I took it twice, and I live in Arizona. I recommend it to any San Diego Dopers who like Martinis and to anyone who happens to be in the area when the class is offered. Make arrangements for transportation though, wou will be smashed afterwards. Luckily, the trolly stops near my motel.

Tanqueray Malaka is the best gin I’ve had. Sapphire comes in second with Beefeater third.

Now, some Jinro (Korean gin) is pretty tasty, too, but it’s a different game, so stick with the above.