Gin!

Anchor Distilling (related to Anchor Brewing, makers of Anchor Steam Beer) makes a very intense gin called “Junipero”. It’s one of my favorites, but is a bit pricey (~$30/750ml) for mixing. I’m also a big fan of their genever-style gin “Genevieve”, and their rye whisky, “Old Potrero”. All are very distinctive, artisinal beverages.

For G/Ts, I like Boodles. The cucumber note in Hendrick’s is too much for my tastes.

Haven’t tried those, but if you’re looking for different-than-usual gins, try Bluecoat. It’s made in Philadelphia, so I don’t know how widely it is distributed. Instead of the heavy juniper taste present in most gins, Bluecoat has a tangy, citrus flavor that’s quite good. My BF created a “Black and Blue” cocktail that is part Bluecoat gin and part blackberry schnapps – it is reeeeally good!

Mmmmmmmm. Hendrick’s. Outstanding, simply outstanding. We buy it in the 1.75 L size now, just so we’ll always have it on hand. I loves me some Hendrick’s.

A good gin that is distilled near where I live is Voyager. It is starting to get carried outside of Washington State and it’s definitely worth a try. Very botanical in the English tradition, but markedly less “junipery”, so you get a lot more of the other herbs and spices coming through.

As an aside, a good gin drink I’ve been hooked on lately is the Negroni. Probably don’t want to make it with expensive gin, but delicious. Bitter, very herbaceous, slightly sweet… yum.

get with the gin program -Gordon’s gin!!! Ice cold from the fridge, twelve drops of dry vermouth, shaken not stirred, toss in a Spanish olive with pimento, in an iced glass.

Too dry. See this thread for the perfect recipe.

I despise gin. It smells like fir trees. Similarly I hate Samuca which smells like black licorice. Both of which seem puke inducing. Who thought of combing pine needles or black licorice with liquor? On par with dairy liquor mixtures…

Prefer pure (vodka) or citrusy entries.

The only person I know that likes gin thinks it’s the lowest calorie alcohol and drinks it for that reason alone.

As strange looking of an animal as capybaras are, they are apparently wise.

Ah yes, I am quite an ardent whisk(e)y enthusiast, but I get along well with gin. Gin is my friend, and Bourbon… he is my lover. Try Hendrick’s. It’s good for you.