Glass or Ruby?

Very much so. There’s almost no UV in the light output of a typical incandescent lamp.

Maybe you cut it in half, bang the two pieces together, saying “there’s no place like home”, and if you wake up in Kansas, you’re onto the real McCoy!

I have to recant, partly, because my memory of the book was somewhat inaccurate. For this particular item, Amazon lets you search the book online and I was able to find the citation.

Apparently it’s any strong light, not necessarily sunlight that does the trick. I still think that the stronger the UV component, though, the more noticeable the effect would be.

You guys are just incredible! I think it’s glass, but your responses have made it bearable. crowmanyclouds, that link was particularly helpful with the photographs.

They can be green too - I have some.

One of the most telltale inclusions in glass is a round bubble. Little round bubbles are fairly likely in glass, but not likely in most natural stones.

But only a blue garnet is worth enough to buy your freedom from the prison mines of Chthon… wait a second, that part was probably made up.

:wink: