Glee - Premiere Episode 5/19/09

I overall enjoyed it, but felt like it definitely had more heart than brain. A lot of the attempts at humor fell kinda flat, and the non-glee-club kids are WAY too stereotyped. The football team locks a kid in a wheelchair in an outhouse? Come ON.
On the plus side, all the actors seem really good, and many of the singing ones are straight from broadway. (The lead female glee-er, for isntance, originated the role of Wendla in Spring Awakening.) (Oh, and yes, the redhead is Charlie from Heroes.)

See, and I couldn’t tell if the stereotypes were deliberately over-the-top in an ironic way, or if it was a legitimate lack of imagination. Because the blatant stereotypes didn’t lead to anything funny or clever, I tend to think the latter.

Also, the glee club kids are just as stereotyped as the others. Fat black diva, waifish effeminate gay kid, disabled nerd, etc…

I liked it. I don’t usually look for laugh-out-loud sitcom moments. Lines like “I’m on my feet 4 hours a day, 3 days a week”, and the prinicipal making the teacher pay to use the auditorium when they could rent it out to alcoholics, were good. I saw the steroetyping as a tongue in cheek parody. I’ll give it a look in the Fall.

StG

I think she was also Henry’s wife on Ugly Betty, no?

Also, the teacher’s wife was on Heroes as Claire’s bio-mom, Meredith, and Friday Night Lights as Tammy’s sister.

Excuse me, but when I went to Girl Scout camp as a kid I was locked in a latrine for half an hour by the “cool kids” until a counseler found me and then wasn’t let into the cabin because “something stinks - PEE YEW!”

I was really moved by this show and was glad I TiVo’d it because I watched it a second time and caught a few things I missed the first time around (the whole pot angle - I must’ve been in the bathroom or something.) I did think there was a knee-slapper line when the “star” girl said “nobody likes me” and the director said “and you think being in Glee will help that?!” lol…I was bawling by the end though and loved how the mullet lawn-care guy tied everything together. Brilliant.

btw, anyone who can’t commit to hulu can see the extended trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNU0KoBIIdE

Same here. I’m surprised anyone couldn’t see the parody.

Yep – recognized that one immedaitely, as I played that piano piece way back when, probably around high school.

Jessalyn Gilsig. She was also one of the main teachers back on Boston Public, at least for the first season and a half, or so.

I thought it was terrific. Slightly surreal, slightly a parody of High School Musical, yet will probably appeal to fans of those movies as well.

Damn, I missed it. Maybe I’ll download it on iTunes or something. I was in show choir in high school (which is pretty much what “Glee” is about), and all my old friends got super excited when the preview for this came out. We had a lot of fun talking about how much they got right.

“On My Own” from “Les Mis” as an audition song? Check.
“You’re the One That I Want”? Check. That was actually one of the songs WE did our year for competition.
Flashy big show choir with lots of pretty people intimidating the little show choir that could? Check (and let’s just say we kicked ass our year, despite being smaller and less flashy!).

Anyway. I’m getting nostalgic just thinking about it. Sigh.

By the way, most of our guys were straight, and as far as I know, still are. We actually had a bunch of football/soccer jocks in our group who just liked to sing, and a lot of others who wanted to boost up their college applications. The gayness of it all wasn’t really a big issue for most of them. So that’s yet another thing that Glee! got right. :slight_smile:

Wow- I thought it was incredibly bad. I couldn’t watch more than 15 minutes of it.
I guess I’m not the target audience, or something.

Aren’t the writers of Nip Tuck involved in this? I watched the first episode and I’m looking for set ups and such.

I’m hoping this will be a Nip-Tuck moral depravity exposed type show…

Plus Stephen Tobolowsky (who played the former glee club director, now pot dealer) was Bob on Heroes. But he’s in everything.

Did I miss any other Heroes alumni?

Yeah, he’s ‘that guy.’

I watched because of the evil cheerleading coach, who I adore. If not for her, I wouldn’t have given it a look at all.

I LOVED IT! I can’t wait for the season to start. It makes me wish I would have gave it a shot in high school.

This is what I realized I have to get past. Everyone in the house next door (who I watch a number of shows with) all LOVED it and I thought it was OK. But I’ve realized I have to suspend disbelief and enter TV world – that red-haired woman is supposed to be plain? The lovely talented girl is supposed to be an outcast? The other show choir is supposed to have amazing outfits and choreography?

But I will give it a chance because I do like musical numbers, and Jane Lynch.