God,let me pass this test

Why bother with religion in schools? IF you can’t constitutionally have prayer in school, just change the science classes so they teach “scientific creationism”.

I’ve always liked fish sticks, even as a kid.

The breaded kind, anyway. Those batter-dipped abominations can go straight to the gates of Perdition.

adam yax wrote:

Wouldn’t work. A supreme court case in the 1980s concluded that Creationism is not science.

Just talked to my Alabama friend last night. He said,yes,the teacher leads them in prayer. Its an elementary school.

Orangecakes, if you can find out what school it is, I will call Americans United for the Separation of Church and State.

I dont know yet,but they live in a town called Prattville,Alabama.36067,I believe. I doubt theres that many elementry schools there.

Sounds like that teacher’s going to take a pratfall in Alabama.

Orangecakes: Could you narrow it down to a grade level? Thanks.

Better yet, give the teacher’s name…

David. It is kindergardten,and I think a female teacher. Will try to find more

Ok, thanks. The more, the better. Also, if your friend would like to see this practice stopped enough to allow his/her name to be used, let me know about that as well.

I don’t know what will happen for sure, but I bet I can get Americans United’s attention.

David, The guy in question sees nothing wrong with this.So,I’m not even gonna mention it to him! But I’ll try to ask the name of the school.

I remember this because Sir Joe started a thread on this and I won’t start a new mess here about the difference between the Jewish Temple and Temple Judiasm and Jewish Synagogue and Synagogue Judiasm. Nope, I won’t do that.

But - you might not remember this - around third grade you did have classes about the human adventure and the world. It is third grade social studies in most school systems.

The text I used was called “Four World Views” the pub. was Allyn and Bacon. The basic questions were: Where do our ideas come from and how do they affect us and using our power to think and reason…

This “course” covers the Chinese: The Traditional Chinese View of Man and the Family, Confucian View of Government, The Life and Ideas Of Buddha, The Buddhist View of Man in the World, What is Polytheism?

Then goes to The Early History of the Hebrews, The People of the Law (Includes “The First Synagogues” and the Temple, basic beliefs.) Even gave a time line from Abraham to Alexander the Great.

Then the Greeks and Their View of Nature, The Greek View of Art and Politics.

If you go to or call “The Right Place” whatever that is for the town, county or level of gov’t controlling such stuff, they can give you a list of the concepts to be covered/taught for every grade and subject.

And there isn’t much duplication - You have this one time to absorb those concepts, the next time you are taught anything about those people or places the material will be slated from another side or aspect.

I think the American Civil War (ACN)was discussed in 4th grade because the overall topic is “Man and the Land” and the N and S used land differently. 5th grade covers the ACW in much greater depth, building on the 4th grade’s lessons… But I can’t remember the overall topic.

Now I don’t call this prayer and I don’t call it the teaching of foreign religions or even just plain religion. However the information was presented at some time during our school days whether we were ready to learn it or not.

Time out.

Jois, just because the material was presented at some time during your schooling does not in any way mean it happened that way for everybody.

Yes, David, maybe so, but it should have. If the teachers used text books, there had to be different things taught for different grades/years. And text book publishers had set schedules for those topics.

The usual method for picking out social studies text books is not to have them written to your school systems specs

(This may have happen in the NYC schools where the student population was so large they could get someone to publish exactly what they wanted or the whole state of say Texas (rings a bell that they did that or wanted to but can’t swear to it))

but to have a grouping of text books on hand for “the” committee to peruse and then select the one publisher’s series to use for the whole school system.

So most of us old enough to read this have had exposure to more information than we probably remember.

This has changed/is changing. Now with the objectives coming down from the school system and being followed up by testing, standard prepared texts may not serve and teachers have to research and make up materials on their own. And that is another story.

Even when the teachers were given a text and told this was what to be taught in SS this year, many skipped the chapters they did not think important. Or said they would leave this or that until the end of the year. I’ve seen it done with science texts as well.

A classroom is like a kingdom and what goes on there is often up to the teacher regardless of school or district or system policy, just think of checking up on 25 teachers in 25 rooms.

So you have a teacher saying morning prayers in Alabama and maybe you have to stop it one by one.

Jois wrote:

Welllll … maybe more like a Duchy.