Godzilla Vs. Kong - OK, so did anybody else see this thing? (open spoilers)

That’s what I thought, but it wasn’t spelled out in any way.

All these critiques but no one has brought up what seems like another obvious question. Is the nighttime Hong Kong skyline really dominated by a whole bunch of multi-colored neon skyscrapers?

My wife said the A.I. tapped into the DNA of the ancient Titan. She seemed to think the movie made it clear.

Did it say that?

Great question. Did they pick Hong Kong for that look?

The answer is, strangely enough, yes:

Kong was always an enormous ape, but Godzilla was always as tall as the Empire State Building. How did they end up at comparable heights?

I thought Rebecca Hall was cute.

< dives for cover >

Well, here is the thing. Kong in Skull Island was a lot shorter. The director of this latched onto the statement that he was “still growing” in the Skull Island movie. I believe he is 3-4 times bigger in this movie, though.

Godzilla? I don’t remember his size in the recent two movies. Same?

I was really looking forward to this with fairly low expectations. The movie was a major meh for me. I dunno, maybe I’m too old to really enjoy the modern-day versions of Godzilla and Kong. There used to be a sense of wonder to go along with the awe of the great monsters, now it seems to me it’s all just mega-destructive overkill.

She’s cute but she always plays “sad woman”.

Also, I disagree with a plot or character development not being required. You need something to anchor the story to the audience

Both Godzilla’s and King Kong’s size have varied dramatically from movie to movie, and sometimes within a single movie. Historically, GZ was bigger, starting around 150’ and scaling up to 400’ or so. King Kong was only around 40’ in the 1933 movie (although it varied during the movie) and he got bigger over time. But the 2021 movie is the largest incarnation of Kong yet presented on film.

What was Kong eating this whole time? A couple bananas wouldn’t do it.

They showed him eating a barge load of fish when he was chained on the ship. But I think it’s implied that these monsters are fueled by that weird hollow earth energy source and don’t have metabolisms that work like other animals.

Previous Kong film showed him eat other monsters. I suppose they could just feed him any kind of meat (or anything, really, since he’s an omnivore)

Kong slurped up the brains of that flying creature he killed in the Hollow Earth.

To this day I prefer simple effects like that. It is much easier to suspend disbelief with a guy in a rubber suit playing Godzilla. Great modern special effects don’t look any more realistic, way too much time is put into the technical aspects of their creation than an understanding of how to make good use of the character in a film. They spent a lot of effort in highlighting the anthropomorphic qualities of Kong in this film, but never came close to portraying the pathos of the original character as it was done almost 90 years ago.

And the thing is, even those “simple” effects weren’t as simple as we often think. A tremendous amount of effort went into crafting the various monster suits and miniature effects. It’s fairly common to talk about “guys in rubber suits knocking over cardboard buildings.” In fact, those miniature buildings were never made of cardboard. They were mostly wood and plaster, and a lot of work went into them.

For example, the miniature of Atami Castle that the monsters destroy in the original King Kong Vs. Godzilla was incredibly detailed. It was a very recognizable structure that everyone in Japan would have known. Hours and hours of work went into building that miniature, just for the two suit actors to destroy it. The same is true of the National Diet Building (the seat of the Japanese parliament), seen in many films. These were not effects that were just casually slapped together.

And the man-hours that went into the original Kong’s stop motion animation was probably comparable to the CGI used in his latest outing.

Answering the important question of the movie:

Godzilla vs. King Kong: Whose Poops Would Be Bigger? | Mental Floss

I’m Positive that this is not the limit of her range. That these may be the roles offered to her by those who feel her acting only excels in that category makes me sad. I might have met her once… and there was absolutely nothing sad about her. Maybe it wasn’t her, maybe it was her Doppelgänger.

( …but holy smoke, that Doppelgänger was a Hottie…! )