Going to England

Well, judging by the state of Manchester today I won’t be moving to London any time soon. :smiley:

“As the saying goes”? Doesn’t someone actually have to say it before it becomes a saying?!

Well, chowder said it.

I must confess I’m a little taken aback by CSRP’s vehement defence of Manchester. I mean, when was the last time it turned out a worthy who wasn’t famous for a bad haircut and fluffy guitar rock?

Hmm, OK, I see how it works. So then: Manchester’s alright and has many things going for it, but in parts it’s a bit of a shit tip, as the saying goes! Or is that not catchy enough?

Anyway, if the OP isn’t that keen on going to London on this trip, I doubt he’ll be that worried about whether Manchester, Birmingham or Leeds (see what I did? I made it worse!) is the alleged “second city” he’s missing out on. If he does want to see an English “city”, I’d still vote York. It’s small and old, but there is a newer part which could give him some flavour of a business district (OK, so it’s one office block and a panini shop, but hey) if he really wants to see one and spot the difference.

When was the last time Birmingham turned out a worthy?

Simon Rattle?

Born and educated in Liverpool?

Oh, fuck, he was. I went to school with his kid- always assumed he was a local.

How about Rob Halford, then?

To answer your question: Danny Boyle, Sir Ian McKellan and Sir Peter Maxwell Davies, to name but three. Anyway, enough with the pissing match. Let’s both agree Manchester is better.

Why does it matter which city’s England’s second city? Both Manchester and Birmingham are OK cities with a fair amount going on.

I think you’re using a different definition of ‘today’ and ‘tomorrow’ than most people do.

It’s a nineteenth century saying from when Manchester was an industrial city and Londoners were still living in caves. The most current saying is “Manchester has everything apart from a beach”.

Me three.

Plus, at Avebury, there’s a decent pub WITHIN the megalithic artifact! How cool is that?

Belvoir Castle in Rutland is an interesting tour (don’t miss the 17/21st Lancers Regimental museum while you’re there). York is neat, at least for an afternoon or so, and the same goes for Stratford-on-Avon.

Oxford could easily occupy someone for a week, if they were to see everything there was to see. London could be an entire vacation, as could Edinburgh.

Aberdeen’s a neat place, although not really “touristy”. Balmoral Castle, Fraser Castle, Dunnottar Castle and Crathes Castle are all nearby and are all interesting tourist things to do.

There isn’t squat to do in Grantown-on-Spey, except hang out in the hotel pub with the locals, which was a total blast, because they all got drunk and started singing.

Bath is neat- the actual baths are a really cool tour, especially if you’re into Roman stuff.

Cambridge is similar to Oxford, except that the educational architecture is more open and less fortress-like, due to historical reasons.

That’s about all I can think of in terms of UK cities I’ve visited… I’m sure there are more, but I’m trying to remember about 10 weeks split into 3 trips over a 10 year span.

Heartily agree about York.

How true. The White Horse is probably viewed as a bit of a nuisance by the locals - attracting day trippers and all that.

Nobody has yet mentioned Dorset and the Cerne Abbas man.

If you’re in the land of Shakespeare, make a side trip to Cadbury World. It’s about 20 miles from Stratford-upon-Avon. I didn’t take the tour; the company store was enough for me. I bought some Cadbury Eggs for BellRungBookShut-CandleSnuffed last December. The link covers a few things to see in the area, too.

If you end up in the Cambridge area and want to see a spectacular church, hop on the train to Ely. Beautiful cathedral, home of Cromwell, and a river. It’s much smaller and easier to get around than Cambridge but it doesn’t have the world-reknown school. Nearby is the Prickwillow Drainage Museum. It shows you how they keep this area reclaimed from the swamps. If nothing else, you can say you’ve been to “Prickwillow.” How many others can say that?

Back in London, if you have the time, the London Tower and Tower Bridge are worth a look-see. Conveniently they’re right next to each other. The Tower is fascinating; plan on spending the day. Also, take the Tube to Kings Cross station and get your picture taken at “Platform 9¾”. The platform is outside the station proper, adjacent the building housing Platforms 9 and 10. It’ll give you a neat story for the Harry Potter fans in your life.

I’ve got to say something about Stonehenge. It is not, I repeat, not a destination. Stop by only if you’re in the area. I was sorely disappointed that I drove all that way for a bunch of rocks in the middle of a field. The souvenirs were pretty cool, I have to admit.

I’d second this. Back when I was young, you could freely wander among the stones, and really get an idea of the their size and history. Then the usual happened: people started vandalising them (why? why?). Now you’re herded like sheep in a circle around them - and at quite a distance. You might as well look at photographs. And don’t forget that one of the busiest roads in the country (A303 West Country to London) roars past a stone’s throw (hah!) away.

But it has to be said that the Salisbury Plain scenery is quite spectacular.

I have to ask, what were you expecting?

Bunch of rocks?

You Philistine

Teacake, I’m not sure. I guess I didn’t expect the distinct lack of druids and not being able to get close to the stones. Had it just been a stop on the way to Cheddar or Bath or Salisbury, no problem. There’s just not enough happening to justify a trip to Stonehenge to stand 30 feet away from anything interesting.