[QUOTE=Gozu Tashoya]
Hm, it looks like all the basics are covered, so I’m gonna try and slip in a minor hijack.
How does Matsumoto’s Shave Ice compare to Waiola Shave Ice? Despite having grown up in Hawaii, I rarely have/had occasion to go down to Haleiwa and don’t recall having gone to Matsumoto’s (maybe once as a kid). Personally, I have trouble fathoming better shave ice than Waiola’s, but, hey, I’ve been wrong before.
[/QUOTE]
Waiola’s (on Kapahulu, near Waikiki) has a softer shave ice. Almost like a slurpee-consistency. I found I preferred Matsumoto’s snowball style, with the ice cream and azuki beans (trust me on this!), usually Lychee and Melona . Plus you’re in Haleiwa, which mean you made a roadtrip to a neat surfers town.
Personal preference and all that. Try them both.
And how did I forget Leonard’s Malasadas, JSexton? Get one before you hike up Diamond Head. After the climb, those calories will be gone.
So here’s more eats (for the budget-minded):
Zippy’s chili. We all know Hawaii is synonymous with chili, right? Well, it will be after this. Get it with rice. Then you’ll go home and put rice in your chili all the time.
Get a plate lunch from just about anywhere, especially a lunch wagon. It’s a meat (fried chicken, fried mahimahi, or teriyaki beef) with rice and macaroni salad. For a good variation, try Kakaako Kitchen in Ward Center, a trendy new area. A plate-lunch place with a gourmet touch.
Korean BBQ is also a great plate lunch. Get a Kal Bi or Meat Jhun (the latter is only in Hawaii)… or combo them.
Souvenirs? Go to the huge Wal-Mart by Ala Moana. Yes, Wal-Mart is evil and all that, but not in Hawaii. We love their prices here.