Golden State Killer/East Area Rapist/Original Night Stalker arrested?

I thought all of BTK’s victims were strangers.

As for his Vietnam service, I’m not attributing it to any trauma he may have experienced, or not experienced, while he was there. I’m coming from him seeing the Vietnamese as easy targets because of whole war situation.

Updating this thread:

There’s a statute of limitations for rape ? ? ?

Yes and No.

California passed a bill in 2016 to eliminate the previous statute of limitations (generally 10 years) but:

Since these rapes occurred decades ago the previous statute of limitations still apply.

Since there are 50 states there is going to be a wide variety of different policies among the states nationally.

There’s not just a statute of limitations on charging someone with rape, there’s also a limit on how long a victim can take to report the crime in order for the police to do anything. My recollection (IANAL) is that it used to be pretty short, on the order of 2–5 years, but since the molestation scandals that have been rocking the Catholic Church, most states now allow at least 10 years, and many allow up to 20.

He just did.

https://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Joseph-DeAngelo-earons-guilty-plea-hearing-15372192.php

He was sentenced to life in prison:

Anyone who is following this - don’t be fooled by his appearance as a frail old man - the DA released some footage of him in his cell doing calisthenics and climbing up on his desk to shade a light. He is pretty dexterous for his age.

He spoke a few words before they wheeled him away, indicating he heard all the victim’s statements and was sorry for what he did. He’s only sorry he got caught. Hopefully we wont hear about him until he dies behind prison walls.

Another thread that may interest you: I'll Be Gone in the Dark on HBO - documentary about the Golden State Killer (open spoilers)

And another: Alex Blumberg interviews the detective that lead the investigation. A really interesting 45 min interview as they walk through the path of finding him.