"gonna" and "wanna": How acceptable in English usage?

I use that a lot. Sometimes my brain moves faster than my mouth, so it gets switched around and I say, “You’re wanna gonna—”. Sheesh.

Yeah, I do something like that, but it’s an origianal localism…Yerr g’in wan’ster layter?, or something to that effect.

Something I’ve become aware of, however, is that ‘I dunno’ seems to be a problem for people lipreading. Any dopers able to provide experience of this from the other side?

I WANT TO ROCK!!!

Nope, doesn’t really work.

“I’m kinda fonda Wanda, 'cause Wanda always wanna, wanna, wanna.” --Niel Young, in Kinda Fonda Wanda

I use these compressed words a lot, but in print I usually spell out the original words.

Do other people find themselves using it’s instead of its in conversation or is that just me?

Um, “it’s” and “its” are homophones. How would you tell which you are using in conversation?

In text-based media? Never. prim

Lemme 'splain it to ya this way …

“its” is pronounced, well, “its”, but 'round here, some folks pronounce “it’s” as “its’s”.

GAAAH!!!

Run away, Run away, English is doomed !!!

How about “Finna”?
I’m finna go post on this msgboard…

I use gonna and wanna frequently in speech and in written pieces, depending on my potential audience.

I also use two words which I am convinced I made up, although I cannot prove I coined them: prolly for “probably” and dropt for “dropped”.

I have never been criticized either in real life or on the internet for using any of those four words… but as I said, I take some time to reflect on the audience I seek to reach, and if I find them inappropriate I’m prolly not gonna wanna use 'em and they’ll get dropt from the piece.

In writing, never, save when quoting someone else; in speech, vanishingly rarely.

Never in writing, unless it’s deliberate (for a character speaking in fiction, for example); in normal speech, a bit.

Then again, I am one of those Grammar Nazi people… :slight_smile:

I would say,

“I’m gonna go to the store.”

I talk pretty quickly, so they’re pretty much verbal contractions for me. If I’m writing, being formal-ish, or talking to someone who’s not so fluent in English, I have to make an effort to slow down and enunciate.

…Have to say, I never knew there /was/ another way to pronounce “dropped.” And here I always thought I didn’t have an accent. :>

I’m never gonna make grammer jokes around you again.