Good Camera for $800?

Thanks. This is all helpful. As for high humidity, it doesn’t get much worse than where I am now, so that will be an issue.

An update. After looking around a bit, I think we’re probably going to go with the Canon G1X compact. I think I’d like to start getting more involved with photography and different cool lenses, but the reality is I probably wouldn’t have time and the gear would end up sitting around somewhere gathering dust. So sticking with a good point-and-shoot is probably best. The GX1 is retailing over here for 23,900 baht, which is US$757, and it seems like a great little camera. We’ve pretty sure we’re going to go with that.

However, we are still getting our old camera fixed also, the Canon PowerShot A95. It died on us in the US in April, and some guy in a camera shop in Washington DC – the sjop’s owner, not some dweeb working part-time – told us A) the sensor was fried; B) they don’t make that part anymore; and C) even if they did or we could find one, it would be too expensive to fix. We took it in to an authorized Canon dealer here in Bangkok without mentioning what the guy in DC had told us, and they said it was something wrong with the lens. I said I “had a hunch” it was the sensor, and they said no, definitely not the sensor. Said encountering cold weather suddenly like we did in the US can cause this problem with the lens or lens frame or something similar. Will cost about $80-85 to fix. We’ll keep this as a backup since it’s been such a good camera, but we still plan to upgrade to a better one.

From what I read about that Camera, your getting a nice piece of equipment that punches above its weight, it appears to have everything the DSLR’s have in terms of control of taking pictures , without the detachable lens.

Have fun and post the pics somewhere we can see em.

Declan

Thanks. One other question: Besides the built-in flash, the G1X has a mount for an extra flash. I feel this may be a stupid question, but we’ve just always made do with the flash on any camera we’ve ever had, so what would be a situation where we might want the extra flash power? Is it really as simple as just wanting to light up a dark night?

One of the nicest things about an external flash that can rotate or pivot is that you can bounce the flash off a wall or ceiling before it hits your subject. Reflected light is much more diffuse, natural, and less harsh than the direct light coming from the flash.

You can do so much more with a mounted flash. Beside the power, being further away from the lens plus all the directional options allows you to take creative control of how the subject is lit. Photography is all about light.

Thanks. As you see, I have lots to learn.

If the flash will accept a wireless transmitter signal, you can use the flash off board. The onboard one, usually is useful when your adding fill light, but can be trial and error in every day use for its effectiveness.

Declan

Faster recycling usually too, and means your camera battery isnt being used for flash and the camera, so longer camera life.

Otara

And it’s done. The wife and I purchased a Canon PowerShot G1X today. We got it at a small camera shop, a semi-wholesale outfit that could give us more of a discount than the regular retail shops were able to go. Picked it up it for 20,900 baht. At the present exchange rate, that’s US$659. A full 3000 baht or about $95 less than the regular retail price. And yes, it’s a real Canon, not a knock-off. The full warranty, registered it on the Canon website online etc.

While we were at it, we also picked up a small Canon Speedlite 270EX II flash to go with it for 4500 baht or $142, about $41 off the regular retail price.

So I’ll be spending the next few days going over this thing. I’m hoping this will be a good camera to use to get up to speed on using manual controls.