Good, cheap food suggestions

If you enjoy Chinese food, you could buy a wok, a 10lb. bag of rice, stock a basic pantry with basic chinese prepared sauces and ingredients (Soy, Chili sauce, five spice powder, Oyster sauce, cornstarch, szechuan pepper, etc.) and buy a good, big book of chinese recipes.

I’ve often thought of going “Asian Kitchen” and converting for health, time, and economical reasons. The Chinese tradition and style of cooking seems to be geared for simple, quick, cheap, and tasty meals.

Buy some whole chickens, and cheap pork cuts on sale, bone and slice them and freeze them in 8 oz. portions (for two people). Make stock with the bones and trimmings and freeze. Get some of your favorite veggies (frozen or fresh) as needed and stir fry all together with your favorite chinese pantry sauces by recipe or your own whim. Serve with rice.

Definitely economical (Why do you think chinese restaurants are so cheap?) and healthy if you control the amount and type of oil for stir frying. And if you enjoy chinese food as much as I do, it would not be monotonous… and there are so many different chinese recipes, regions, and styles you would never run out of new ideas.

Poor Man’s Coquille St. Jacques

1 Box Kraft macaroni & cheese
1 can white albacore tuna

Prepare Kraft macaroni & cheese
Drain tuna
Mix

Soft tortilla tacos are cheap if made with rice and beans. A little ground beef flavors a whole pot of filling.

Here we go, Hamburger soup.

1 1/2 lb lean ground beef
1 medium onion chopped fine
1 28oz can diced tomatoes
2 cups water
3 cans beef consomme soup
4 carrots, chopped fine
1 bay leaf
3 stalks celery, chopped fine
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 cup pearl barley
parsley, salt & pepper to taste
Brown meat and drain off fat. Add onion and sauté about 3 minutes.

Combine all ingredients in large 5 quart pot or crockpot and simmer for a minimum 2 hours. If you are using a crock pot you can cook it all day.

It’s really thick and a hit for cold days with us. We generally serve it with buns or fresh bread and sprinkle it with cheese.

I agree that baked spuds are a good meal, especially topped with chili.

However, please take the time to do them properly in the oven, because microwaved potatoes are Satan.

Carry on.

Anyway…

Here’s another good, cheap one:

Gumbo

Heat 1 tbsp oil in big pot/Dutch oven
Brown 1 smoked sausage/kielbasa (previusly mentioned cheap one) cut into 1-inch slices–remove to plate.
Cube 2 boneless chicken breast halves (stock up when on sale or buy bag of them at Costco), dredge in seasoned flour and brown 5 mins–remove to plate.

Brown 1/2 cup flour in pot (add oil if necessary). Add 1 chopped medium onion, 1 chopped green pepper, 2 ribs chopped celery–saute for 3-4 mins. Add 4 cloves chopped garlic, cook 2 more mins. Add 3 cans chicken broth, 1 15 0z can diced tomatoes, 2 bay leaves, salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper to taste.

Bring to boil, then decrease to simmer for 45 min to 2 hours.

Serve over rice.

Increase the proportions if you want lots of leftovers–and you will, because it’s better the second day.

Bon appetit!

:smack:

Oh yeah, I almost forgot…add the meat back to the pot with the chicken broth, tomatoes, etc.

Sorry.

One of my favorite recipes for chickpea curry… Pretty cheap, as long as you live somewhere where garbanzo beans are inexpensive. (Most places in the US, I think.) And if you already have a stockpile of spices, which I would recommend. Otherwise the “start up costs” might be a lot.
You can also substitute something like potatoes and carrots for the garbanzo beans, if you want more vegetables.

Chickpea Curry

Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 40-45 mins
Serves 4

2 onions
4 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon ghee or oil
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp paprika
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
2 14 oz cans chickpeas, drained
14 oz canned tomatoe pieces
1 tsp garam masala

Slice up the onions and garlic, and cook over medium heat in some oil. (Ghee is not necessary.) Then add the spice mixture and stir it all together for about a minute. Next, add the tomatoes and chickpeas, and stir it all up till thoroughly coated. Cover, and let it simmer for about 20 minutes, under low heat. You might want to stir occasionally, but I usually can’t be bothered. Just make sure it’s low heat. Then add the garam masala and cook for another 10 or so minutes, stirring it all up. Ta da! Very easy to make and tastes delicious, as long as you like strong flavors. Otherwise, you might want to reduce some of the spices. I usually add more… I usually eat with naan (harder to get) or pita bread (more common in the States.)