Good, free firewall software?

Gotta disagree with you, while i do use both. I would never trust a hardware one by itself. Software firewalls while arguable less secure offer greater options and functions which i think make up for it. Again I would always use a hardware one if i have the choice, but never by itself. There are many times when I do not want a program to connect outward.

Is this your idea of a sick joke? Because I gotta tell you, it’s just mean.

Adding garbage text so the retarded vbulletin software accepts this message.

This fucking piece of shit must die.

Running zonealarm does nothing; it brings up no user interface at all. Uninstalling fails with the error I posted earlier:

The file
C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
could not be opened

Because I can’t run the stupid thing, I can’t tell it to not run on startup. I tried removing it from the Run registry tree under Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion, but that didn’t seem to help.

Deleting that registry key and rebooting into safe mode, I still cannot delete the ZoneLabs folder because it’s telling me that some process is using vsmon.exe. So I open task manager to have a look; there’s only maybe a dozen processes in there. Most of them can’t be terminated – they come up with a notification that they are required.

A couple can be terminated, but unfortunately they seem to be critical, as the moment I terminated them, a message came saying that so-and-so was terminated unexpectedly, so NT has to reboot. Now.

Is there anything at all short of formatting my hard drive that can get rid of the ridiculous piece of trash known as zonealarm?

I’m a non-fan. I have had to remove it from many computers just to get them to work.

Get a hardware firewall. It works.

You can say that again.

I’ve got someone over on the zonealarm boards patiently trying to help me. He gave me a list of files to delete. All but two are now gone. (vsmon.exe, which won’t and caused all the problems in the first place, and a dll it’s apparently loading.)

I also spent over a half hour painstakingly going through my registry, deleting every single reference to anything even remotely related to ZoneAlarm. That was brutal, but it seems to have helped quite a bit. My internet connection now persists longer than 5 minutes past startup, so I no longer have to reboot once for every different page I go to.

But those two files, they won’t go away. I’m hoping the guy on the ZA boards can help me, but he keeps saying things like “you were suppose to uncheck Load On Startup.” Uh, hello, your stupid GUI never once made an appearance. There never was a checkbox in the first place.

God damn I hate ZoneAlarm.

Find and install a program called killbox. It should take care of those undeletables.