Good, Low-Range Amps?

I’m guessing low cost amps don’t go to 11…

Brian

I have a Vox DA 5. I run it with six C cell batteries, if you keep it on the .5 watt setting they last a long time. Even at that setting it is loud enough to annoy the neighbors. It has different settings from crispy clean to high gain metal. I only ever use the “Clean 2” and the "Blues 1,2 and 3 " settings. Plenty of crunch available.
It’s a discontinued model but there are lots of them out there.

Just saw this is kind of a zombie thread but my recommendation stands.

Since this is a zombie, asking this probably isn’t going to hurt anything:

The OP says he was playing a Strat and was focusing on heavy metal. Now, I haven’t had an electric guitar for a long time and am totally out of touch with the HM scene, but will a Strat do for HM? I thought dual-coil Humbuckers were de rigueur. EVH has dual-coil pups in his Frankenstein Strat, right?

I know Peavey had a really nice guitar amp (“Modeling” amp?), last time I checked (5 years ago). I could go research a bit.

I can’t really say much about bass amps, but (and I’m probably wrong) you really need a big speaker (no smaller than 12" and preferably 15") to get decent bass even at low volume. Acoustic had good bass amps back in the day–clean and powerful.

I am fully expecting at least one person, if not several, to facepalm and say Give it up, Gramps, that was then, this is now. :wink: Just trying to help. Quash my ignorance (but keep it short, it’s already way past my bedtime :smiley: ).