Good Movies turning Bad with time

Sixteen Candles owns this thread. At the time, it was a great teen movie. Viewing it now, we see that it’s full of offensive material–racial epithets, revolting stereotypes of Asians, the idea that date rape equals fabulous sex… I find it unwatchable now.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It got ok to good reviews at the time, but then the TV series blew it away, and now we wonder as we look back “What the hell was that?”.

Heck, the ones of us that were kids at the time (well, the 80s in general) are pretty much sick of it as well. I was born the same year E.T. came out, so by the time I was six or seven (perhaps I’m giving myself too much credit, but I know it was before I was 10) I absolutely hated it and never wanted to see it again. It seemed like whenever we went to a party, the adults were thinking “Let’s plop the kids down in front of E.T.”. Every Thanksgiving and Christmas for what seemed like years it was on TV. I’m sick sick sick sick sick of it, and I haven’t seen it in years.

For what it’s worth, I was also hating almost all Disney animated movies by then as well.

When I was in seventh grade (I think that’s when it was) Star Wars seemed like a great movie.
I saw it years later.
I hated it.
What a dumb movie.
I don’t mean the re-edited “Episode-4” version either, at the time Star Wars was still just called, Star Wars.
Han Solo shot the bad guy (Greedo?) first.

The thing I remember most was when Han Solo said, “Let’s take 'em all on in a fight. Better’n hanging around here in these disguises.” …Or words to that effect…
Yeah, right

:rolleyes:

Brazil was mentioned?
Are you kidding?
That movie is funnier now than it ever was!

I remember thinking Ferris Beuller’s Day Off was hilarious and fun when I was a teenager. Nowadays I find it painful to watch. Ferris is a supreme asshole who bullies his friends into doing what he wants, has no problems using anyone around him to get his way, gets his good friend into a shitload of trouble and doesn’t even have the balls to fess up to it. If I try to watch it these days I just can’t understand how at any point I was supposed to (or able to) care about this dickhead.

I was a senior in high school when Fast Times came out and it was considered the Holy Grail of movies. Everyone had been to see it several times, and everyone had the soundtrack.

You’re right; now it’s just sooo awful.

Shirley Temple movies tend to annoy me. Will Rogers was funny in print, but no actor. Woody Allen dates badly stylisticly.

For a specific film, I’d pick “The Last Emperor”, which takes forever to tell the story of someone who I never cared about.

titanic

But Titanic was a bad movie that only turned worse ;).

Ferris offered to take the blame for the Ferrari that his friend destroyed. And his friend could have stayed in bed all day if he wanted to.

I think there’s a typo here. What you clearly meant to say was that Ferris offered to take the blame for the Ferrari that he harangued his friend into taking in the first place. It was destroyed while trying to hide the fact that they stole it in the first place.

Ferris is a tool.

Let me help describe some of the problems that I saw in the movie. I didn’t even like it the first time.

Every “white” man in the movie (except Cosner, of course) is a total nose-picking worthless slob. Every “Native American” is totally noble. As if this were not obvious enough after the first half-hour or so, we’re hammered over the head with it for another interminable period.

The plot was as transparent as a good pane of glass. I personally prefer a few bits of mis-direction here and there (as opposed to bad direction, which is another subject).

I’m sure there were others, but (as someone said) it’s been a long time.