"Goodies" in Vinyl Albums

Venus and Mars by Wings had a couple of posters and stickers. I’ve still got it somewhere by I can’t for the life of me remember where I’ve stored all my vinyl.

Sound quality would be the same as a single groove (the multiple groves are the same width and depth as a single groove), and the cost would also be about the same. It would take a little extra work to create the multiple grooves on the master copy, but pressing the record would cost no more than a regular one.

The bigger issue is that, for most records, there’s no reason to do it. You want buyers to hear all the songs. Multiple grooves would also lead to a shorter playing time (since the space on the LP was constrained).

Either Hemispheres or 2112 (by Rush) was a translucent red vinyl. I had it but it warped horribly.

Imagine a single (a 45) with different lyrics or different mixes of the same song.

That’s not how the inner groove messages got there. They were inscribed by the cutting engineer who made the master disc from which the final product is duplicated (after a series of intermediate steps). One of the most famous inner groove messages is “A Porky Prime Cut,” the slogan of George “Porky” Peckham.

Your Go-Go’s LP said “Is this record a pencil or a beer can,” right? :cool:

Anyone remember what was inscribed in the deadwax of the six sides of The Clash’s Sandinista!?

Side 1: “In space . . .”
Side 2: “no one . . .”
Side 3: "can . . . "
Side 4: “hear . . .”
Side 5: “you . . .”
Side 6: “CLASH!”

My favorite deadwax inscription was on Joe Ely’s Live Shots!:

Side 1: “How to keep an aggie fascinated for 3 hours? See other side”
Side 2: “How to keep an aggie fascinated for 3 hours? See other side”

One of the cool things about The Beatles in Mono, the CD box set of all of the Beatles’ UK releases through the White Album in mono, is that they reproduced the packaging for all the albums (albeit at CD size), including all of the goodies like the cutout insert in Sgt. Peppers, the booklet in Magical Mystery Tour, the poster/lyric sheet and picture cards in the White Album, etc.

I remember buying a 45 of a certain Dead Kennedys song that had a bandana or something, a weird piece of cloth at least.
Here we go. http://www.angryyoungandpoor.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=130828&idcategory=348

I have a copy of Big Bambu with the rolling paper. It actually has a picture of Cheech and Chong printed on it also, I am amazed that thing survived my younger years.

The front artwork on Rick Wakeman’s 1976 LP No Earthly Connection was warped, but became un-warped when viewed with the included foil mirror, rolled and placed in the center.

I sewed that armband on to an old jean jacket I used to wear.

At the time I was living in a rundown area next to a flophouse. My neighbors, who would often hang out on the front porch of the house, saw me with the armband, but didn’t see the “NO” part of the symbol, they only saw the swastika.

They went from being very friendly, to hurling abuse at me overnight. I couldn’t figure it out! These guys were all drunks, but they were still pretty intimidating, especially since there was a whole group of them. The situation was not cool.

One day while walking (very quickly) by the house I see that there’s only one guy on the porch, an older guy who had previously been friendly with me. I asked him what was wrong and he says “we liked you up until we learned you were a fuckin’ nazi”.

I explained that I wasn’t and showed him the armband and the “Nazi Punks Fuck Off” slogan, and that smoothed things over right then and there. But it was a very stressful week.

So um… yeah. The Dead Kennedys “Nazi Punks Fuck Off” 7" came with an armband. I can attest to this fact.

Goodies, vinyl albums. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ducks and runs.

I may be imagining this but didn’t Tommy have a booklet of the lyrics with maybe some art in it?

Yes. Monty Python’s Matching Tie and Handkerchief.

Yes, that was one of my favorite inserts; I really like the artwork. Magical Mystery Tour also had a very nice insert, with stills from the film.

The cover of Led Zeppelin III had a cardboard disk inside that rotated to show various images through holes cut in the cover.

Grand Funk’s Shinin’ On was a 3D cover that you viewed through glasses that came with the LP. It really is pretty cool when you look through the glasses… as I recall, the back cover has about 8 different levels of depth.

The original version of Their Satanic Majesties Request was a lenticular image that changed as you viewed it from different angles. The Stones would look at each other. If you looked closely, you can find pictures of all four Beatleshidden among the flowers. Later versions used a regular photo, and only two of the Beatles could be seen.

The Bonzo Dog Band’s Tadpoles had die cuts. When you pulled out the inner sleeve, it would animate their eyes.

The first Captain Beyond LP also had a lenticular image on the cover. And I also have an old 1968 LP by Johnny Nash called Soul Folk – it came out on a small label which for some reason ponied up the money to include a lenticular image of Johnny on the cover.