Got a Ticket, Need Info on Speed/Radar Laws & Out of State Stuff

I should add that this is what I have been told by several police officers, and not by attorneys specializing in this area.

According to what I have heard, chances are pretty good that either, (1) they won’t bother putting on a full-blown jury trial for a simple traffic ticket, or (2) the ticketing officer won’t be able to show up on the day of the trial. Either way, you’re off the hook. But, if the trial is held, and the officer shows up to testify, you are about 99% certain to lose.

This isn’t good advice in most cases because one isn’t entitled to a jury trial on traffic tickets.

Is taking a defensive driving class an option?

It is in Texas. You can burn one moving violation a year by sitting through a DD class. Dunno about the Northeast states and whether they do that or not.

Well… as badge indicated radar guns with this ability do exist (see below) and are not hooked to the police car speedometer. How the radar determines the relative speed of host vehicle I will leave to the SDMB engineers and pro-am gearheads to explain.

How police radar works

This site seems to suggest that the dual beam “moving mode” radar is using reflections off surrounding road objects to calculate the relative speed of the host car.

Appendix C. How radar works

Er, DaPearl, maybe I missed this in your posts, but. . .were you speeding? :confused:

As your attorney, I advise you not to answer that!

Astro, I have no doubt some radars, possibly the newer units, can work that way.

Aye, there’s the rub. A lot of “assumed” in there. With a passel of objects and a multiple of vehicles in the area, no radar is intelligent enough at the current state of the art to absolutely distinguish between those objects at all times. And a mis-identification would result in an unreliable display.

There is no such ambiguity of the cop car’s speed if the radar is connected to the car’s wheels or speedometer, and that speed is either added or subtracted from the measured, relative speed of the subject.