Grammar question: A and not B is OR A and not B are?

My understanding is that not ending a sentence in a preposition is pretty much the only rule of word order in Latin. I don’t know why; I’m not a Latin speaker either.

As Senegoid pointed out, the rule on not splitting infinitives is easier to explain; it’s impossible to do in Latin because infinitives are a single word. In English, infinitives are two words but Latin-influenced scholars invented a rule that if it couldn’t be done in Latin, it shouldn’t be done in English.

After I had written my question I suddenly remembered the phrase “Vade me cum”, “Go with me”, so obviously there is no such rule.

I guess that means no one ever said whatever the equivalent of “Laud f*cking are” is in Latin?

When the boy’s father came into his room at bed time carrying a book about kangaroos, the little boy said “Daddy, why’d you bring that book I didn’t want to be read to from about Down Under up for?”

(And yes I realize “Down Under” is really a noun in that construction.)

A variation without the questionable “Down Under” construct:
Daddy, what did you bring the book that I didn’t want to be read to out of up for?

Runner-up: I’ve got to run now, and go home to put what I’m going out in on.

(As best I can recall, I got these from Herb Caen’s column in the S. F. Chron, 30-some years ago.)

bingo

That is a rule up with which I will not put.

That’s because those Brits are just plain smarter than we are. At least, they’re more consistent.

We say “IBM wants to sell us services.”

But then we go on to say,

“They want to start with a 1-year contract.”

Well, are they they, or is it it? We silly Yanks just can’t make up our minds.

Those are a hoot! (Oops, those are hoots.)

This reminds me of the old saw about the professor lecturing in German, ending his lecture with a long list of verbs. Or was that Yoda?

Depending on their total hootworthiness. The two examples together could add up to one hoot, or they could each independently be an individual hoot, for a total of two hoots.

If one is easily amused, then I suppose each terminal preposition alone is worth a hoot. If I’ve counted aright, that gives us 8 hoots in those two examples.

If Johnny has 8 hoots and he gives a hoot, how many hoots does Johnny have left? Are hoots conserved?