Grammar Question: Name of This Error?

I agree, though it wouldn’t normally have occurred to me to interpret it that way, and I had missed the discussion about the adjectival intent. The word “nestle” is conventionally regarded as only a verb in both US and UK usage, either transitive or intransitive, as one can see here and here. The meaning might have been clearer if the word had been omitted altogether or replaced by its present participle or an appropriate synonym. I have no problem with such usage; the problem is the lack of clarity.

Actually, the idea of teachers seeing a lot of “developing wrongs” in their classrooms might be considered a rather expressive turn of phrase! :slight_smile:

Time I went and nestled next to her in our warm, comfortable bed.

I would say to any developing writer that the important thing is clarity. There is a reason why legal documents don’t have commas.

Wait. What? Plenty of commas in my house papers, and I worked for a couple of years for some lawyers, and plenty of commas in their court documents. Is this a UK thing?

Nestled when used adjectivally is the past participle of nestle. *Shining * is the present participle of *shine.*They are both dangling participials.

Agreed! (I choked!) Isaac Asimov, in his fiction, has just about the greatest pure clarity of any writer I know of. His prose is very plain, but, gollamighty, it is clear!

When I was younger, I thought legal contracts had to be all in one sentence. You can imagine what kind of results I created. (I also included the immortal phrase, “…and if the recipient is not satisfied, I will give him back his fucking money…”)

It was an abomination, but at least the legal intent was clear!

No, they’re not. The second one is, but the first one is an example of a nominative absolute.

Ok, I guess I see the difference. Her warm body makes it a noun phrase, which is different from a true participial phrase. It’s a dangling nominative absolute. You can see why they just started calling them all dangling modifiers, can’t you?

Anacoluthon

An anacoluthon (/ænəkəˈluːθɒn/ AN-ə-kə-LOO-thon; from the Greek anakolouthon, from an-: “not” and ἀκόλουθος akólouthos: “following”) is an unexpected discontinuity in the expression of ideas within a sentence, leading to a form of words in which there is logical incoherence of thought. Anacolutha are often sentences interrupted midway, where there is a change in the syntactical structure of the sentence and of intended meaning following the interruption.

I can’t tell if anacoluthon is exactly what I was looking for – it seems to be referring more to a non sequitur transition than a specific grammatical error – but it’s a pretty nifty word, so thank you for it!

(Isn’t it something Captain Haddock once exclaimed?)

(I just checked the Tintin wiki…and yes, he once did!)