Grand Jury

Grand Juries don’t really “investigate”. They are given information by the prosecutor, and must decide if the evidence indicates “probable” cause necessary for an indictment (needed to bring criminal charges).

The prosecutor’s office may submit any evidence it wants, with no judge or cross examination of witnesses by the defense. With such freedom, it is rare for a the grand jury to fail not indict. However if an indictment is reached, a the evidence is made public, so there is some incentive to not blatantly overstate the prosecution’s case.

It’s a legal requirement. Here all indictable crimes go in front of the grand jury.

Yes. So? It’s simply a check on the state to ensure that they do not go forward with cases that don’t meet probable cause. That is the legal standard for indictment.

Yes. So? It’s one extra check on the state nothing more and nothing less.

It is not some secret kangaroo court. All grand jury testimony is transcribed and presented to the defense in discovery. So any discrepancies can be attacked during trial.

I have often been warned when a grand jury is new. They tend to ask a ton of dumb questions and have too much of a CSI view of what an investigation should look like. After they are there for a while they figure out what is important and what isn’t and things move quicker. Most counties here seat a grand jury for 90 days and they meet once a week. There is also a state grand jury for multi-jurisdictional cases but I have never dealt with that.

“Dumb questions” sees a bit harsh if most grand juries are treated like mine; we got a ten-minute “introduction” speech from a Federal Attorney and had no opportunity to ask him questions. The only guidance we got was after a couple of cases when we protested our lack of understanding and got a few minutes with a judge. Not being psychic, we had a hard time NOT asking “dumb” questions.

The GJ I was on was for the county, and not Federal. We were treated with much consideration and given lots of information ahead of time. After the witnesses, usually a police officer, testified, they left the room. We had a chance to ask the prosecutor anything. If we wanted more info from a witness, s/he would be called back to the room and the prosecutor would ask the question.

This is how mine was as well. We were given detailed instructions on what the Grand Jury was for, and what we were actually there to do. There were several times when people wanted to hear more from witnesses and they were brought back in. Perhaps because mine was an everyday thing, and not just once a week.

Yes that’s how it works here too. I have never been in the room during the discussions but I have read the transcripts afterwords. The jurors can ask questions and clarify things like what are the elements of a certain crime. The witness can be brought back in to answer more questions too.