Great classic movies that look iffy and dated today

I thought the same thing while watching Rebel Without a Cause…especially the part where he’s contorting his face and wailing “You’re tearing me apaaaaaahhht!” It was all I could do not jump up and yell “Acting!” “Genius!” “Thank you!” It was painful bad, for reals.

I think it’s Hitchcock’s North by Northwest, where the characters are climbing Mt Everest. I’m sure at the time it was tense and realistic, but now it just looks cheesy and immensely faked and detracts (for me anyway) from the action and suspense that Hitchcock is trying to convey.

midnight cowboy

the first and only oscar winner with an ‘x’ rating

yeah, and they make that awful mistake of making Mt.Everest look just like Mount Rushmore! Who’s gonna believe that?

:stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by Timchik *

Right, Rushmore, that’s what I meant…
Damn I wish I could think of an excuse for getting my Mts. confused, but let’s just chalk this one up to lack of fully firing synapses.

Mannequin. The clothes and hairstyles are so 80’s trendy that it just makes you laugh.

I had a friend who wouldn’t watch any movie made before the 80’s, because: “I find it hard to watch a movie where people’s clothes and hair don’t look right.”

He also wouldn’t watch black and white movies. I could not stop rolling my eyes.

Rogers and Hammerstein’s “Carousel” had dated badly, so much so that watching it can make you cringe, especially the part where they call spousal abuse a form of love. Really. <shudder>

can that be, reality chuck? would you please post said lyrics for all to understand? geez, rodgers and hammerstein, who knew?

When I first saw Superman (Christopher Reeves version) I was impressed that the flying scenes looked so real. Its not nearly as impressive to see him fluttering in front of a green screen in today’s computer generated era.

Star Wars on the other hand look as good today as when I first saw them.

It’s not in the lyrics; it’s in the dialog. Billy Barlow comes back from the dead to see his wife and daughter. He meets the daughter and slaps her. Julie says something like, “sometimes a slap feels like love.” The synopsis mentions this:

Earlier, after singing “Soliloquy” (R&H’s worst song, IMO – cloying and cliched), Billy decides to join his sleezy friend and rob a payroll. The message is that you need to commit armed robbery to show your love for your daughter.

In the movie, Bigelow comes off as a hotheaded lout, and Julie Johnson is an airhead (I’ve heard fans of the play are very disappointed in the film).