Great documentaries on Netflix Streaming

Bill Maher’s Religulous. I’ve seen it twice already, might as well just leave it in the queue since I will probably be seeing it again.

I agree with Religilous and submit Six Degrees of Helter Skelter for LA/scandal/death hags and The Cove for people who like dolphins and want to hate humans.

I don’t have Netflix so I don’t know what’s available, but if you have access to it, I highly recommend this:

Marwencol

It sounds very strange…

but it’s one of the most fascinating and moving documentaries I’ve ever seen. This odd world that Hogancamp creates comes to vivid life through his photographs and stories, while his own story will very possibly have you sobbing, wanting to reach through the screen to give him a long, deep hug.

Here’s a trailer that’s a very good trailer, but it doesn’t portray a fraction of the depth, humor and tragedy of Marwencol. The world he creates is amazing. The You Are There photographs he takes are astonishing. The story behind each scene and photograph is staggering. The story behind how Marwencol itself came to be is mind-boggling. It’s just something you have to see for yourself.

It is available on Netflix, and I’ve added it to my list. Thanks

Genghis Blues

Another vote for Marwencol.
Also:
Capturing the Friedmans.
A family in crisis is “captured” through home video in this searing documentary about the Friedmans, an upper-middle-class family who found their world turned upside down when father and son were charged with child molestation in 1987. The media inundated the airwaves with coverage of the alleged crime, but some of the best footage – seen here publicly for the first time – was shot by the Friedman family members themselves.

Not Quite Hollywood: The Wild, Untold Story of Ozploitation

Explore the unofficial history of Australian cult film with this provocative documentary on the “Ozploitation” flicks of the 1970s and '80s. Filmmaker Mark Hartley explores the violence, sex and nudity rampant during this period of lax restrictions. Jam-packed with film clips, poster art and international advertisements, the film also features anecdotes from numerous celebrities about this dynamic period in Australian cinema.

I’d recommend King Corn. Really enjoyed that look at food agi… The Trials of Henry Kissinger… and the one on the Weather Underground…

As you can see I lean political… the one on water. I forgot the name… Me and the lady liked that as well… The Elmo one surprised me how much I enjoyed that.

The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia

Jessco White, the Outlaw Dancer, and his extended family and friends in modern-day Appalachia. Talk about “Hold muh beer,” and “Hold muh crack pipe” while you’re at it.

This is where I’m originally from and yet it still shocked me to see this picture of life there today. Anyone else must just think we’re making it all up.

I saw this on HBO or maybe Showtime – really entertaining, in a kind of creepy horrifying way.

Yes, that describes my childhood there.

Word Wars - Follows avid Scrabble players, all of whom are quite interesting and quirky.

Harp Dreams - Follows harpists who compete in the top international Harp competition. Very compelling.

You should see where it all started. West Virginia Public TV’s Dancing Oulaw.

[quote=“Hail_Ants, post:7, topic:627489”]

[li]Confessions of a Superhero: Docu about the people who dress as film characters and hang out on Hollywood Blvd essentially panhandling for money from tourists to take pictures with them. Sad, kinda creepy, and amusing all at the same time.[/li][/QUOTE]

+1

and

The Wild Wonderful World of the Whites of West Virginia

Omigod, that’s great! I just queued it up on Amazon. I have never seen it! Thanks, man.

I saw Dancing Outlaw waaay back in '94 or so. The grad student who was teaching my technical writing class showed it to us. It had nothing to do with the class–she just thought it was so crazy she had to share it. At first, we all thought it must be some kind of “mockumentary.” Just a big joke. I’ve always been fascinated by it. At one time, I found a lot of discussion online about whether it is a real documentary. People even claimed that Jesco White was actually a character being portrayed by B-movie reviewer Joe Bob Briggs. But, AFAIK, it’s not a hoax–it’s all real. :eek:

Another good documentary about an Appalachian family is American Hollow.

There is also Dancing Outlaw II: Jesco Goes to Hollwood, produced and directed by the same folks from West Virginia Public TV, but I didn’t think it was as good as the first one. The filmmakers follow Jesco to L.A. when he makes a guest appearance on Roseanne.
Jesco White’s Wikipedia page:

For The Bible Tells Me So is currently streaming. It’s very much worth watching. It’s up there with The Eyes of Tammy Faye and Jesus Camp when it comes to really, really good religious based documentaries.
It discusses what the arguments the religious right uses when it says the bible says that it’s wrong to be gay (right down to specific verses) and examines them to explain why they might not be correct. Getting into things like, ya know, context (reading the passages above and below) or taking into account that certain words or phrases may have meant different thing and different customs may have been (un)acceptable 2000 years ago.

In short, it gives people some ammo to fight back with when someone says God hates fags. Not that you’re going to change their minds, but you can feel a bit more superior knowing that they didn’t actually read the bible, they were likely just handed a picket stick and told to march around pride fest. You’ll often hear that Atheists tend to know more about the bible then Christians…this is why. Because they don’t just spew out the stuff they’re told (as if it’s gospel…HA) they go and fact check, by watching movies like this.

Anyways, it’s a good documentary and worth watching. Next time someone says ‘it’s right there in the bible, being gay is wrong’ you’ll be able to say 'really? where, can you show me"…they won’t be able to show you. IIRC, and I watched it several years ago, the one place that even alludes to it doesn’t make any sense if you back up a few sentences.

If you only take away one thing from the entire movie, it should be this clip, it’s the one part that stuck with me.

Also, here’s LEV 15:22…The God Hates Fags Verse from the KJV “Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.”
And as I said above, reading for context, let’s go a bit further and see what else god doesn’t like. I mean, if we’re going to take the bible at face value, surely we should follow everything he has to say, right…oh, here’s something from the next page “neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee.”
Yup, that’s right. God hates fags…he also the fashion police. Can’t wear linen and wool at the same time.
He also told Moses that we can’t seek Wizards. No more Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings I guess.

Cropsey and We Were Here are both 4 to 5 star docs. I would recommend them both. I think We runs out of steam 3/4 of the way but gives a pretty compelling story.

Directed by Errol Morris who also directed The Thin Blue Line, which was mentioned by the OP. I’m a big fan of Morris and would reccomend all of his documentaries.
Gates of Heaven
Vernon, Florida
The Thin Blue Line
A Brief History of Time
Fast, Cheap and Out of Control
Mr. Death
First Person (6 episode documentary series)
The Fog of War
I haven’t seen Standard Operating Procedure or Tabloid yet.

Correction: There were two seasons of First Person with a total of 17 episodes.